Author Topic: Nikon Pro Staff 4-12X40  (Read 1150 times)

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Nikon Pro Staff 4-12X40
« on: December 20, 2010, 04:40:11 AM »
I ordered one for my 22-250 from Graff for $138.00, I know some on here are not real fond of the Pro staff line, but I have had pretty good luck with the 3-9X40s. This seems to be a good price, everyone else I checked wanted $159.00 and up on sale. I think I read this is a close out price so no back orders once these are gone.

Offline godale

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Nikon Pro Staff 4-12X40
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 02:00:15 PM »
the only draw back i see is the lack of a ao adjustment. i considered one because they are priced nice,even without the ao adjustment it was probally better than my bushnell banner. i ended up saving more and getting a buckmaster instead.

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Nikon Pro Staff 4-12X40
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 02:56:54 AM »
Nothing like the New years day sale and those gift certificuits recieved over the holidays so some of mine were spent on a Nikon Prostaff but in the 2x7-32mm

This one will go on my WMR as the scope that was on it slipped a cog on the elevation making it print low and lower.

Back to that Prostaff though, I got to do an instore comparison with the Nikon verse both the Bushnell banner and Sportsman series. We did have a window to view out of and in short, there was no comparison on clarity and brightness so the Nikon went home with me. All three models retail anywhere from $79 to $89 for the banner & sportsman with the Prostaff being $139 but I got it for an Internet price without having to pay the shipping.

There was a comparison on at least five different scopes done right here on this forum and I was suprised to see the Prostaff come in dead last on the low light viewing. You could have fooled me here because we are allowed to hunt deer to 1/2 hr after sunset. This is getting too late for my old eyes but is a good standard for Scope testing in my back yard. At almost 1 hr after sunset (by actual time) and in the pre dusk, viewing objects like rabbits up to 50yds, or the objects in the size range of a Fox or Coyote at 100 yds was easy with good crosshair defination! If this is a "bad scope" I sure would like to see one of those good ones in low light. Please note my scope is a 32mm while the scope in the test was a 40mm.

I have not done any shooting yet to see group sizes but the rifle preformed very well with a couple of Weavers that eventually fogged up and another non-descript 4x32 that had ran out of elevation adj.