Author Topic: My hammer wont lock back?  (Read 480 times)

Offline resistfate

• Trade Count: (0)
My hammer wont lock back?
« on: January 12, 2011, 11:19:21 AM »
Well, I just got a new traditional stock from midway. I tried to install it but even after the screw was all the way in there was still about a quarter inch gap between the stock and the receiver, and the stock would just slip back and forth. I put a nut under the screw head and tried again, its on perfectly solid now. As I was handling the rifle admiring the new stock I pulled the hammer back and i noticed that wont lock into position. So basically I am assuming either

A.I broke it somehow some time
B.There is some sort of issue that prevents the hammer from locking the the stock screw is not all the way in.

I am assuming its B. but I am not messing with the rifle anymore till I hear from you guys. Though, lets assume that it is B. why wont the traditional style synthetic stock fit properly?

EDIT: I just checked the FAQs so now I know its B. So basically I guess I need to know what size washer to use. how many of you used the traditional stock and what size washers do you use if any?

Offline rdb

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: My hammer wont lock back?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:22:46 AM »
Stock bolt is too long, I think. Check the FAQs, its in there.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:24:28 AM »
Yep, stock bolt is too long.  Time for a trip to the hardware!  Check the FAQ's.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 11:26:47 AM »
Yup, all older stocks take a 4" bolt, new style checkered synthetic stocks and the Survivor take 5"  bolts, a long bolt will jam the hammer, there's a warning on it in the FAQs as well as the bolt requirements, sometimes even the right bolt will cause a problem without a washer installed particularly on wood stocks.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline resistfate

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:29:39 AM »
yeah I just did, you posted as i was editing my post lol. from my understanding of the faqs do i need this screw: "The stock bolt is a standard 3/8"-24x 4" fine thread cap" screw

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
Yes, all stock bolts are 3/8"-24, commonly available at your local hardware store, the old style syn stocks will also take a socket head screw of the same size to eliminate the need for a thin wall socket.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline resistfate

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 11:38:09 AM »
thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it...to bad its so darn cold outside, I think I will wait awhile before the trip to hope depot lol.