Author Topic: Some noob questions.  (Read 397 times)

Offline bigbird09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Some noob questions.
« on: January 12, 2011, 01:40:53 PM »
I have heard various answers on this in the past and I'm looking for a more definite one.  When you have a variable power scope, and you sit in on say 4x power, then crack it up to 8 or 9x will it chance POI, or does it really vary by scope?  Also what is the best power to sit a scope in on, say on like a 3x9.  Also I have seen a couple scopes with a parallax adjustment,  most I have seen range from usually 25 to 500, then to infinity,  what is this for and is there really advantage to it?

Thank You
Levi
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

novice shooter, gunsmith, reloader, that is always open to help, tips, and tricks.

Malin v17/.17HMR, Handi-rifle/.223, Mossburg 500A/12g, Winchester 1300/20g, CVA eclipse magnum/.50

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
Re: Some noob questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 02:50:36 PM »
Good scopes aren't supposed to change POI as magnification changes, but what does good mean? Some move.

I sight in for highest magnification, but leave my variables on the lowest magnification for hunting. If something walks by close, I have more field of view right away; its one less thing that would announce my presence. If it walks by far away, I will probably have more time to crank it up, and can get away with a little movment.

Most lower power scopes have the parallax set at a certain distance at the factory. Get far away from that setting and if your head moves it gives the appearance that the crosshairs are moving around in the scope. Its more pronounced in higher magnifications.

An adjustable parallax, set correctly, makes those moving crosshairs sit still. The advantage is gained if you are shooting at something really small, really far away.  

For hunting larger stuff in a finite field, I set my parallax at 2/3 the length of the field and leave it there. That way, if its in the close 1/3 of the field, should be an easy shot anyway. For the middle 1/3 and farthest 1/3 of the field, the parallax will be pretty close.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline bigbird09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 02:56:22 PM »
awesome, thank you very much.  So that mean that a scope that is parallax free doe not have this moven't at any powersetting or range, correct?
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

novice shooter, gunsmith, reloader, that is always open to help, tips, and tricks.

Malin v17/.17HMR, Handi-rifle/.223, Mossburg 500A/12g, Winchester 1300/20g, CVA eclipse magnum/.50

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 03:29:17 PM »
I don't think they should be saying "parallax free" by itself, but rather "parallax free at 100 yards", or "parallax free to 150 yards".
But probably the correct way to say it should probably be "parallax free at 100 yards with no noticable parallax to 150 yards".
As you get away from the parallax setpoint, the parallax gets worse. Try looking through a rimfire scope at 100 yds and you should see it.

just remembered I saw this on Bushnell's website:
Parallax - A condition that occurs when the image of the target is not focused precisely on the reticle plane. Parallax is visible as an apparent movement between the reticle and the target when the shooter moves their head or, in extreme cases, as an out-of-focus image. Bushnell center fire riflescopes under 11x are factory-set parallax-free at 100 yards; rim fire and shotgun scopes at 50 yards. Scopes of 11x or more have an adjustable objective to adjust for parallax.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.