Author Topic: Handi rechambers  (Read 581 times)

Offline dant

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
Handi rechambers
« on: January 13, 2011, 09:26:59 AM »
I've noticed quite a few threads about rechambering Handi barrels on GBO. When I was reading a thread on Gary Reeders website he said he doesn't rechamber Handi barrels because they are too hard and ruin reamers, that he went thru three reamers chambering one barrel, but, I believe it was for a bottleneck case not a straight wall. Anyone else experience that ?

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Handi rechambers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 09:32:47 AM »
Gary did a Handi Hornet barrel for me a couple years ago in to a 224GNR and said it went smooth as glass , it shoots great too .

I know of a few others that he has done in other rounds and no problems there either .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 09:35:42 AM »
I've had a bunch of H&R barrels rechambered by site sponsor Wayne York of Oregunsmithing, he's never mentioned it and I've talked to him numerous times and emailed him even more, just talked to him last week about a 44mag to 444 marlin and 243 to 375 Whelen improved, said to send em over like always, there are probably at least 100 members here that have had him do rechambers and rebores including Graybeard. Over 50 members have rechambered their 357mags to Maximum with my reamer, it's still as sharp as new and cutting fine. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,183880.0.html

I've also talked to Fred at 4D, he never said a word about it when I told him about rechambering a 45 Colt to 460S&W, in fact I was the first person to rent his brand spanking new 460S&W reamer, he even has a section on his website about rechambering Handis!! ;D

Tim

http://www.4-dproducts.com/submenu/Singleshot_Chambers.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 09:50:41 AM »
Another thing , I don't see were a Handi barrel would be any worse than a TC or Ruger barrel and most of his rounds are designed for just their platform's , sounds like I need to give Gary a call and see whats up with this .  ???

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline jather

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 11:09:59 AM »
wonder if it may have been custom barrel, as in maybe had lug welded on by improper method and hardened barrel  ?  just thinking out loud, jather.....
i beleive in one christ, and him crucified&arisen at OUR MAKER'S side.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 12:50:09 PM »
...243 to 375 Whelen improved, ...

Oooooh!  375 Whelen Improved!   :P  Oooooooooh!

:-\

NOW TIM!  CUT THAT OUT!!!   >:(
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 12:56:05 PM »
That's on a Superlight barrel too, I may have to get you or Tyler to shoot it for me!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dant

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 01:00:08 PM »
Maybe I was wrong. I looked again and couldn't find the post. I thought it said something about the lug being welded on after the barrel being chambered made the steel hardened. Maybe I read it on another forum ???

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 01:43:11 PM »
one time i had to rent a reamer because my son did'nt have the flavor i wanted...
it would not even cut butter... it was dull as an original paint job on a 39 coupe that has been sit'n in tha sun since new.
took 3-4 hours !!!  tim, i bet remembers that.... i told him of that ream job.....and posted pictures
and of course they tried to get me to pay for a resharpen.... i tolt them to put it where they kan't see it no more ;)

next one i did, with my boy's new reamer, took about 20 minutes. and i'm slow as a income tax refund !!!!

we have rc'd many brand barrels and never had a problem unless the reamer was dull.
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline 26-t

• Retired
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (21)
  • Contributor
  • Father and Son At Bonneville SpeedWeek 07
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 02:01:52 PM »
I reamed my 45 colt to a 454 tonight ;D,the GBO loan /rent reamer cut the chamber fast and very smooth. It took longer to take the extractor out than it took to do the reaming. Thanks to all involved in the reamer program! 26-t