Author Topic: Refinishing H/R 158 12 Ga.  (Read 548 times)

Offline Dano357

• Trade Count: (0)
Refinishing H/R 158 12 Ga.
« on: January 18, 2011, 10:44:08 AM »
First of all hello to all, new guy here

I picked up a H/R 158 12ga that needs some work. Barrel has Surface rust spots and bottom of receiver is also rusty. I would like to refinish it with Duracoat. My question; is there any material in the barrel mechanism or receiver such as rubber , plastic or nylon that will be damaged if I degrease with brake cleaner or LCW truestrip Cleaner/degreaser.

Thank u

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Refinishing H/R 158 12 Ga.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 11:44:44 AM »
To my knowledge the only  thing on this gun that is plastic is the trigger guard.  I don't know if your particular brand of brake clean, (they are not all the same composition) will damage it or not.

Try an electronics supply house, and pick up some plastic safe electronics cleaner.  Same clean, no risk.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 01:43:22 PM »
Welcome Dano! Someone here melted their trigger guard with brake cleaner, but it's been a while, so following Ben's advice is prudent. Be sure to clean any lube off the locking latch and latch shelf of the barrel after you apply oil, any lube there may result in pop opens, they need to be clean and dry.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 02:29:23 PM »
Use it a little and make sure it doesnt have any issues; if it does you will have to pull it down anyway, and you might want to lighten the trigger a tad & put in a new mainspring.
So.....this really means test it first, then pull it down (no big deal, check the FAQs here though) and then you can do a really nice job of degreasing and finishing it!
You will be glad you did  ;).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Dano357

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 10:57:42 AM »
Thank u guys ;D