Author Topic: COL Question  (Read 324 times)

Offline frogy

• Trade Count: (0)
COL Question
« on: January 13, 2011, 10:49:36 AM »
When I set my 45-70 col (2.525") with a Lyman 405 cast the case lenghth falls in the middle of the first grease groove, if I move the bullet in to have outer groove to crimp to the bullet is about .050" off the rifling. How far is to far off?

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: COL Question
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 11:50:53 AM »
Ya know, quite some time back I burned up a lot off ammunition trying out that "closer to the rifleing = better accuracy" thing.   :-\  Anything more then .030 off the lands was verboten!  I finally came to the same conclusion I more recently have come to with reguard to bullet runout.   :-\  Since I ain't a bench rest shooter, if it groups around an inch I don't worry about it!   ;D

Maybe, after trying everything else, if I couldn't get a rifle to group I'd play with OAL.  But if I were in your situation I'd seat to the crimping grove and see how it shoots.

I've got a Browning Low Wall that won't group at all if the bullets are anywhere near the lands.  It likes 'em way off.  But my experience is with jacketed bullets.  I dunno about cast...   :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline frogy

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: COL Question
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 11:01:25 AM »
Ya Know, datz just what I'm going to do! Thanks for the answer.