Author Topic: tcr 87 troubles  (Read 1333 times)

Offline mich kevin

• Trade Count: (0)
tcr 87 troubles
« on: July 17, 2011, 11:50:07 AM »
im having some trouble with my tcr 87 shooting two feet high after cleaning. i was trying to find some with that could answer why  it would be doing that but once the barrel is fowled out its back down and dead nuts. i seen theres a guy on here who calls himself IOWA DON i was hoping to ask him several questions about the tcr 87s but if any one can help me out it would be much a appreciated.

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: tcr 87 troubles
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 04:17:10 PM »
What cal. of barrel are you shooting that might help us answer your question.If it is a 223 they dont seem to handle anything over 60 grns. If you sighted in with a dirty barrel that might be the problem but I have never had any problems with staying on target dirty or clean. not locking up in the same place after cleaning maybe. This is a strange one. don or Hous may have an answer.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Offline mich kevin

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 04:32:25 PM »
my rifle is a 270 win and the problem is that it groups real well once dirty but when i clean it the first shot is sky high off the paper then the second is 12 high then third is 8 or so then the next is 3 inches or so then 1 inch then everything else will group. i know its not the scope  because ive changed the  scope 4 times. ive tried 3 differnet scope bases and 3 different rings. im not sure what could be the problem.

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 04:54:31 PM »
That is strange so I guess you can leave it dirty and it will be ok and then again it could be a head space problem as when chamber is clean case will go in more than when the chamber gets fouled, at this point I would guess head space problem. Do you reload or is this factory and always the same brand?

Deaconllb

Offline mich kevin

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 05:18:15 PM »
i think you might be on to something by the way i do reload and the cases grow a ton and have to get full length resized every time leaving the case life very short. to reach the lands i beleive the measurement is 2.890 to the ogive i dont know if that is long or not but alot of bullets dont work . what do you think

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 06:42:05 PM »
Mich, I think you almost answered your own question. Every time you full length resize you may be creating an excessive headspace problem. Try either one of two suggestions. Unscrew your fl die so that it doesnt't touch the shellholder. Try two turns at first. Take a fired case and resize at two turns. It may or may not chamber. 1/4 turn and repeat. What you are doing is partially resizing the case rather than fl resizing. At some point you will get the case to where it just allows the action to close. Turn in the die about 1/8th of a turn and lock it down. Or get a neck sizing die. Constantly fl sizing creates a lot of stretching of the case and probably is why your case life is going to pot. Hope this helps. Frank

Offline mich kevin

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 06:52:54 PM »
thanks for the suggestion but do you think thats why it would be shooting like it is. i cant figure out why it shoots off paper first shot after cleaning and starts to walk down.

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 06:26:56 AM »
Check your overall case length after resizing then check the overall length of round after reloading also remember that each bullet type will be a different overall length and bullet may be to close to lands or having too long a jump when fired, also back off the loads some and try that the barrel twist may not be able to take the hot load and as it get fouled it tightens up and slows the bullet down. at this point we are guessing but I still say head space and too hot a load.

Deaconllb

Offline mich kevin

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 01:43:15 PM »
thank you for all your help im gonna give it a go and see what can be done

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 03:42:52 PM »
Mich I checked a factory 270 round 130 grn. corlock and it is 3.240 and the lee hand book list nothing as short as you are loading, they list a 3.065 and from there the length goes up to 3.330 depending on bullet and load. When I was having a problem with a 7x57 one of the members told me to resize a case then take a fine hacksaw blade and split the small part of the neck close it up a little then just start a bullet in the case and by hand very easy push it all the way into the chamber then very carefully remove it and measure, this will tell you just how long your chamber is with bullet touching the lands then you will need to shorten it up just a little. I was having a problem getting the action to close because the lee book with a picture of the bullet with all specks called for a overall length of 3.065 but when I took the measurment like I was told to do it came out to 3.000 and I found that a 2.990 worked great then when I checked the bullet weight and powder charge the length listed was 3.000 so I quit looking at the overall length in pictures and started watching bullet weight and powder and have had no more problem. I ask a question about the length listed and one member responded that was more than likely a speck for a military round with a long chamber. Check your bullet weight type of powder and then the overall length listed for that load and you should see an improvement. This is kinda long but hope this will help.

Deaconllb

Offline mich kevin

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 04:17:41 PM »
over all cartridge length is 3.353 inch
case length 2.543inch
from head to ogive 2.890inch
 here a little more detail

Offline woods

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 05:03:32 PM »
      Take a close look at your barrel crown to make sure there isn't a bur that is being turned in when you clean the barrel another possible is if your forend is being moved while cleaning then has to settle back in after a couple shots. If you know anyone with a bore scope take a look at the first couple inches of the bore it may be shot out or pitted, after fowling it would shoot better. I'm just giving you some posibilities.
      My friend has one of these in 222 nice rifle His likes 50 gr nosler ballistic tips. We have a blast shooting pop cans full of water at ranges of 50 to 300 yrds. I shoot a tc contender 223 with a bull barrel. If you have ever shot a pop can full of water they just turn to mist there is no doubt when you hit them.

Woods