Author Topic: H&R CF RIFLE Caliber: 223 REM  (Read 757 times)

Offline lockmaster684

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R CF RIFLE Caliber: 223 REM
« on: April 23, 2011, 06:57:31 AM »
  Just wanted to know if any has a solution to fix a "Fail to Fire" problem with this rife. Maybe it's something I'm doing to it. I farm for a living, bought the gun to control ground hogs. This is the second one. The first one had the same problem, sometimes it would fire, sometimes it won't. I tried all different kinds of ammo, same thing. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks LUKE

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: H&R CF RIFLE Caliber: 223 REM
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 07:00:06 AM »
Welcome! First of all, read the Handi Basics 101 sticky, improper trigger control is the most likely suspect, the transfer bar requires a full pull to the rear to allow it to fire.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline lockmaster684

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 07:10:46 AM »
   Thanks Tim for the welcome.  I was taught to squeeze the round off, but I have tried giving it my all to get it to fire. The dent in the primer does not look deep enough. After the second try on the same shell, it looks like it should be more than deep enough. Sometime on the second try it will fire, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 , or maybe not set it off at all.  LUKE

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 07:45:13 AM »
There are a few links in the FAQs on fixes for FTFs and misfires that you can do yourself, but the best option is to send it to H&R for repair if it's a factory fitted barrel, follow the directions on the repair page on H&R's website, when you call them you can ask for a return shipping label to cover shipping costs, it could be a bad transfer bar or just timed improperly, they have an improved transfer bar available now.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/support/repairs.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 09:12:31 AM »
Lockmaster,

The technique for the handi is "squeeze through", where most folks with bolt guns it's "squeeze let off".
You got to follow through with the trigger pull.  Try the technique before you send it back to H&R.  I was not used to doing it and it took me a little while to train myself.

And forgive me................WELCOME TO GBO

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 09:41:57 AM »
Luke,

Not sure what ammo you are using, handloaded, factory or milsurp, but some of the Handis don't like military surplus ammo because of the hard primers.  Also, if it is handloads the CCI #41 primers have been reported to cause problems with some of the 223 Handis.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.