Author Topic: Question for you guys????  (Read 672 times)

Offline rescue_171

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
  • Contributor
Question for you guys????
« on: February 27, 2011, 02:59:52 AM »
First off I have a Contender Carbine barrel in 30-30 I am getting ready to ream to Ackley improved. I also have a 10 inch 30 Herrett barrel. So my question is could I make the 30 Herrett more efficient by running the reamer in the 30 herrett a couple thousenths to give the Herrett a 40 degree shoulder rather than the 30 degree shoulder it already has and eliminating what case taper the 30 Herrett has?

Because I know that the 30-30AI would be to much powder for the 10 inch barrel to burn in the short barrel. But making the 30 Herrett have a 40 degree shoulder and maybe move the shoulder forward some make it like a 30-30 AI short or a 30 Herrett AI...

What do you guys think?

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Question for you guys????
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 03:47:01 AM »
I think that not only would you gain nothing as far as ballistics you would also get to make a set of custom reloading dies. I would recommend against it.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Question for you guys????
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 12:19:26 PM »
If your looking for more velocity in a 10 in. barrel I think your waisting your time. If the barrel shoot to suit you I would leave it alone, unless you already have the reamer and the dies the cost could not be justified.