Author Topic: Multi-Ball in the 20 gauge  (Read 906 times)

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
Multi-Ball in the 20 gauge
« on: January 27, 2011, 01:44:42 PM »
We have finished our development work and have settled on a load for my brother's bear mediceine shotgun.  Here's the data.

I bought a H&R heavy 20 gauge rifled barrel here.  It fell right into one of my shotgun actions, no fitting needed.  24 inches long, .626 bore, no choke of course.

Mag-Tec full length brass with large rifle primer.  Blue Dot powder, (Circle Fly wads) one 19 gauge .125 nitro wad, 19 19 gauge .050 over-powder wads, three (yes, three!) .626 balls that we cast from an older Lyman mould out of wheel weights that are water dropped.  Each ball is rolled in Lee Liquid Alox. The case is crimped on the equator of the top ball.  Each ball weighs 350 grains. :)

We're getting an average of 1030 fps with Blue Dot.  At 25 yards each shot groups into a perfect 2" triangle almost every time.

We filled the butt stock bolt hole with #9 shot, and between that and the heavy barrell the shotgun weighs in at 10.5 pounds.  Recoil isn't bad at all.  My brother can't stop smiling with each shot. :)

For reloading dies, I took a Lee 20 gauge loader (wack 'em) crimp die.  Bored out a 7/8 x 1.25 bushing from an RCBS Rockcucker press until the die would slip in and then welded it into the bushing.  Then drilled out the top of the die and threaded it for 5/8 x 20.  Bought a 5/8 fine threaded bolt and faced the end to use as a seating stem.  Drilled & tapped a hole in the side of the Rockcucker so I could adjust the crimp by turning the die in or out.  Works well and was cheap.

We have been keeping an eye on the barrel fit as we are in completely un-charted seas with this load.  So far at about 110 rounds fired we have no change in barrel/action fit, so far so good.  If the action starts to stretch I'll pick up an SB 2 for more strength.  Neither the primer nor the case are showing pressure signs, of course.  We worked up the powder charge very slowly, trust me.

Cat

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Multi-Ball in the 20 gauge
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 01:59:27 AM »
I like it!!!!....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 04:31:06 AM »
This sounds like a marketable idea.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 06:50:22 AM »
Well done!
Of course there really is 'nothing new under the sun', I bet you could find trials of just (minus the smokeless) such well back in the British sporting journals, but after the advent of conical rifles the old round ball fell out of favor. It still does the job it has done for hundreds of years.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 01:21:54 PM »
Thanks MSP, we do too.

Markus,

I would shudder to think of what would happen to a standard shotgun barrel with one of these babies.

gcrank,

I imagine you're correct, I'm sure it's been done before.  The hardest part was finding the proper size mould.f

Now we're going to work up a single ball load for plinking/practice.

Cat

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 06:25:13 PM »
Was this inspired by the Dixie tri ball loads?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 01:13:41 PM »
Nope, by me.  When researching this I found some posts by Dixie.  They were very helpful, gave me some starting points.  I was having a hard time deceiding what powder to use and what charge level to start with.  Totally new territory for me.

Cat