Author Topic: AR hunting rifle  (Read 1811 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
AR hunting rifle
« on: January 12, 2011, 05:20:38 AM »
Ok I admit that the AR rifle was not a favorite. Had 2 back in the 80's -90's but traded them . Well after reading and debating on the topic of AR's here I decided to try once more. At the same time decided to build the gun . I wanted to be able to target shoot , home defense and hunt with the gun. I liked the idea of a 6.8 spc. What I ended up with was a 20 inch bbl in 6.8 . Free float handguard alum with 3 inch rails out front at 3,6,9 and 12. Adj. stock ( tried older non adj stock but did not like it hunting) . It has a riser with a 3-9 leo scope mounted .
 I hunted all season with it where legal , rifle counties. Did not get a deer with it not even a shot. maybe 14 days of carry.
 Things I will change if possible on next venture - less of a handgard weighs to much for hunting gun. No need for a rail on handguard for hunting in day time. Better stock. 16 inch bbl. and better sight , scope dosen't work well in the woods we hunt . And maybe a switch to 30 AR cal.
 I enjoyed building the gun ( yes with help) i feel comfortable doing any maintance on it or switching parts . I understand how it works and how to keep it running. I will hunt with it some more and hope to make the changes mentioned ( maybe a new upper) . This gun shoots really nice groups with Hornady ammo so maybe it should be kept for on the range or hunting from a blind. This gun had function problems from the start and what I though was wrong was not the case , it was the vent hole in the bbl was to small. It has been a learning process but worth while. If any one is thinking about building one its alot of fun and rewarding .
One other thing how do ya'll feel about the use of a wedge ? This gun is tight now but seems to get easier to open and close  as it gets shot more ? Is it needed ?

Ideas or experinces welcome.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline emsemt911

• Avid Poster
Re: AR hunting rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 08:07:04 PM »
I have numerous ar.  I started out with the standard and have grown to the 6.8, 9mm and soon to be .40 s&W from RRA.
Why swap to the .30 ar when you have a 6.8?  The 6.8 is plenty of gun for any animal.  I have used mine from coyotes to deer to red stag to a 515 lb hog.  All DRT shots.  I have a 16 inch standard RRA Upper that I use on an Oly lower.  I have a wedge in the gun safe, but do not need it at this time.  My gun matches the upper and lower just fine.  It will eventually be used.  If your lower is loose, use it.  It will help.
I would not change the handguard, the one you already have is a real nice handguard.  Optics will be your choice.  I use a 3-9 nikon.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 10:48:57 AM »
The reason for the hand guard switch is weight .The 20 inch bbl and heavy hand guard make the gun muzzle heavy . I want a lighter rifle . It will be a new upper so the one I have will stay the same. What load for hogs ? I like the 6.8 but like different rounds also. I expect to stay with the 6.8 though this time  ;). Optics . Where I hunt a scope is a hindrence . I use open sights alot . The 6.8 i hunted with , I built with no iron sights. I had problems with the gun and due to work and getting with the guy who sold me the defective parts ( he was at a gun show and I waited until he came to the next show) so he could inspect the bbl and redrill the gas port time was running out so I mounted a scope I had , sighted in at 50 yards and run about 80 rounds thru it. My son and some others have eotech type sights and they seem to like them better in the dense woods where we hunt . 40 S&W , do they have it in 10 mm ?

Offline emsemt911

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 08:51:11 PM »
I love the Eotech sight.  It is on my 9mm.  I am putting a vortec red dot on my .40.
I have also used the Millet on my 6.8 and .223 with great sucess.
If you want a 10mm, look ar Oly.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 02:10:43 AM »
Thanks , the 10mm looks good ! more toys to save for  :D

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 12:24:32 AM »
the 6.8 is a great round. My buddy has taken a few deer and hogs with his and it did great. I dont see much advantage to swithing to the 30. Id probably buy a 6.8 myself but i allready have an ar in 762x39 and its pretty close ballisticaly.
blue lives matter

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 07:26:39 AM »
Accually the 30 rar is about equal to a 300 savage. If you look at the load data for the 30rar energys are 400-500ftlbs. over the 6.8. I'm not saying te 6.8 is bad just saying just it does lag a bit behind the 30rar. The 30 rar is accually quite a step above the 7.62x39. I'd love to see the 30rar get popular, I'd consider getting on myself but I just bought a AR10 (lr-308).

Offline Booyah

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 06:06:35 AM »
I just purchased a AR in 7.62x39 and I took it to the range. It shot just over a 1" group at 100 yards. Looking forward to hog hunting with this.  Never hunted with a AR before.    Thought about getting one in 6.8 but ammo isnt the easiest or cheapest to shoot.  Thought about the Remington 30 but its would be even harder to find. 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 01:14:20 AM »
those were my thoughts when i bought mine. I had a chance to pick up 5 cases of wolf ammo cheap and brass and bullets are easy to find. What i really like about it is i can grab 500 rounds when going to camp and blast away and not have to worry about picking up brass. It may not be quite as powerful as the 6.8 but its in the same ballpark and no deer at a 100 yards is going to know the differnce. Mine will shoot moa with loads it likes and even shoots wolf into a inch and a half at a 100 yards.
I just purchased a AR in 7.62x39 and I took it to the range. It shot just over a 1" group at 100 yards. Looking forward to hog hunting with this.  Never hunted with a AR before.    Thought about getting one in 6.8 but ammo isnt the easiest or cheapest to shoot.  Thought about the Remington 30 but its would be even harder to find.
blue lives matter

Offline Booyah

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 02:45:48 PM »
I plan on using mine hog hunting.  I figure most shots will be 100 yards or so.   I am going to change my scope over to a Pentax with the bullet drop compensation style crosshairs. Figure I probably can push 200 yards.  Going back to range to see what type of distance I can shot.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 03:57:36 PM »
AR's are completely ineffective on hogs.  You need at least a 338WM. ;)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 05:01:45 PM »
And you'd be the one to know about that jmayton. ;D ;)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 01:25:20 AM »
whoa , a 338 WM in an AR whew how much would a 30 round mag weigh ?  :D

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 04:56:37 AM »
'bout 15lbs. 

Actually it's the fact that the AR is a gas-operated semi-automatic with a pistol grip that makes it ineffective on hogs.  Hogs can't be killed by evil guns. . . only blued steel and wood in an awfully large caliber.  The gun should do nearly as much damage to the hunters shoulder as it does to the hog.  And even then you usually have to shoot them twice in the same spot because the first round doesn't always pentrate to the vitals.  So I'll stick to my .505 Gibbs double rifle for these vicious beasts.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 09:03:40 AM »
Wild grandpa must not hve known , he used a 22 short and the hogs were 300-400 lbs.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 11:07:29 AM »
Being completely serious for a moment, I myself am seriously considering a 6.8 upper for my AR.  I have a friend who has a Rock River .308 and that thing is a heavy beast.  I think I'll stick with the little guns, myself.  But the 6.8 is a nice compromise.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 11:10:01 AM »
Being completely serious for a moment, I myself am seriously considering a 6.8 upper for my AR.  I have a friend who has a Rock River .308 and that thing is a heavy beast.  I think I'll stick with the little guns, myself.  But the 6.8 is a nice compromise.
That's why I got one ! Only wish it was a 16 inch bbl not 20 .

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 11:27:25 AM »
I'll get the 16.  The 6.8 was designed for that length.  I like the handiness of the shorter rifle.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 11:31:15 AM »
My brother in law bought a Rock River 308. Dear Lord, that lower receiver is enormous. I too will stick to the little guns, and the 6.8 don't look half bad.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 01:00:13 AM »
ive got a 16 inch ar10 and do like it. Mostly because its one of the most accurate rifles ive ever owned. I think you could seat a rock in the case and shoot moa with it. Downside to it is its HEAVY! I toted it around the year before last in deer season and doubt id do it again. My 762x39 will take care of 90 percent of my deer hunting chores and is MUCH lighter.
My brother in law bought a Rock River 308. Dear Lord, that lower receiver is enormous. I too will stick to the little guns, and the 6.8 don't look half bad.
blue lives matter

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 08:03:31 AM »
jmayton, I thought I read a thread where you hunted with a AR in 223.............I am in the camp of lighter guns. You can get too light for good shooting but I'm not as strong as I used to be and can't lug around a 10# rifle anymore.  ;D

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 08:33:11 AM »
pastorp, it was all tongue-in-cheek.  I think the AR is about as perfect as can be for hunting.   Believe me, I like all kinds of weapons of all configurations, but as an all-around rifle for all the uses a rifle might be used for, the AR platform is as close to perfection as we have come.  And it kills pigs with authority.