Author Topic: 44 Mag Load info needed  (Read 573 times)

Offline msc8127

• Trade Count: (0)
44 Mag Load info needed
« on: January 18, 2011, 06:47:07 PM »
I've been doing a lot of reading on 44 mag loads, and most people seem to agree that 240 grain SWC pills are sufficient for popping deer and any other critters I might encounter here in Arkansas. So, I have 500 240 SWC bullets on their way here, and 200 pieces of once fired brass. I will pick up some liquid alox for lubing purposes too.

My predicament here, being new to reloading is that when I look in the hogdson load data there 10 different powders available to kick the 240gr SWC's out the end of the barrel. I'll note here that the gun i'm loading for is an 8 3/8" barrel Taurus Raging Bull that has been very pleasing to shoot on 240gr factory ammo of various makes. As I search it seems like for 231 and titegroup are both well liked powders from hodgson. It does seem as if I'm finding a little bit more love for 231 than titegroup, with the primary gripes against titegroup being the smaller amounts of it in the case. But, then i'll see people who like that about the titegroup powder because they get more loads per pound of powder.

So, keeping in mind that i'm pretty new to reloading, and I'm wanting a round that is stout (not maxed out, pushing every limit known to man stout, but good and solid for hunting purposes), which powder should I start with for a 240gr SWC load? I have access to hodgson and alliant powders locally, with the bigger selection being from the hodgson lineup.

I would love to be able to use the same powder for my 357 mag as well, but seeing as how it is a 2" barrel piece, I don't want to use something that compromises efficiency from the 44 mag just to avoid buying a separate powder for the 357 mag. I'd rather buy two separate powders than to be compromising performance on either end.

Thanks for any guidance you can throw to a reloading newbie.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: 44 Mag Load info needed
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 12:17:01 AM »
if your trying to load magnum level ammo in the 357 or 44 mag 231 is the wrong powder. Its to fast burning.  Id look into 2400 as it will do top end loads in either caliber and can be slightly downloaded too if you want. barrel lenght doesnt really play into what you should choose for a powder for a handgun. What works in a long barrel best will usually work best in a short barrel too.
blue lives matter

Offline msc8127

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 03:15:59 AM »
I'm pretty sure there was some 2400 on the shelf at the local shop yesterday. I will run by there after work today and grab it if it indeed is there. I definitely want to use magnum level loads, but how "magnum" they get will have a lot to do with where they start losing accuracy at. It will take a little bit of experimenting to see where this point is at, but shouldn't be too bad of a process.

Thanks!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 05:56:50 AM »
I agree with LLoyd...2400 is a gret powder.  Lately I've been usinh H110 but I tend to shoot heavier bullets than 240gr.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!