Author Topic: 35 Rem Accessory Barrel Thanks Brian  (Read 1366 times)

Offline lendar

• Trade Count: (1)
35 Rem Accessory Barrel Thanks Brian
« on: January 09, 2011, 07:17:03 AM »
Thanks to Brian I have my 35 Rem Barrel now.  I sent my frame in on Dec 23 and it was back on Jan 7 with a 35 Rem and 3006 barrel.  It was not cheap, over $300.00 for the pair.  I was told several times on the phone that there were no 35 Rem barrels but I listened to Brian and sent it anyway.  I am sure glad I did as it came in and I am more than happy.  They had all the normal charges on the invoice but added $17.00 per barrel for HR-Test, what ever that is.  They also charged tax on an out of state shipment.   If you want a 35 Rem extra barrel I would get my frame in, I don't think there are many left.  I have it all mounted and ready to go, should get to fire it tomorrow.  Will let everyone know.  Also thanks to quickdtoo again for all of his help.

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: 35 Rem Accessory Barrel Thanks Brian
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:00:09 AM »
Lendar, Do you have a part # for the 35rem? I'm hoping there are still some available.
I'm curious... if when I send in the frame from my stock 308 Ultra for a new barrel, i worried when it's returned my stock barrel may no longer fit.
I'm not sure if the mod is done to the barrel to get it to fit the frame?
-g
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:06:22 AM »
All new barrels available including the 35 Rem are posted in the New Accessory Barrels Available! sticky.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,224285.msg1099237472.html#msg1099237472
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline lendar

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 10:55:22 AM »
The item number that quickdtoo posted is correct.  I did call and find out about the $17.00 HR Test item on my invoice.  They stated that its a charge to head space and test fire the barrel.  This is in addition to $25.00 to fit each barrel.  In my opinion the two barrels that they sent me were never fired prior to being shipped to me.  I am not at all sure how they would fit the barrel for the $25.00, then turn around and use a head space gauge to check the head space on a single barrel rifle.  I also checked with my home state (Pa) and they are allowed to collect the sales tax.  All of this is sad when you compare it to the old days when you ordered extra barrels from H&R.  The finish of the barrels has not improved, they are the same sort of rough finish they always were.  I did fire the 35 Rem and it worked just fine.  It would not group yet, that will take some work. When it gets a little warmer I can work on that.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:18:40 AM »
Seems to me someone else complained about the $17 test fee and was refunded, Madison does the billing, and has made mistakes before, you might call and complain about it, talking to someone else that's more knowledgeable there seems to be the trick to getting the right answers. ;)

Tim

Offline lendar

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 04:00:25 AM »
As usual sir, you are correct and I owe you another thank you.  I called Remington and after almost an hour on and off the phone they are going to credit me for the 2 barrel test fee's.  If anyone has barrels fitted and that fee shows up on there invoice you need to call and complain because Remington states that check is included in the $25.00 you pay to have the barrel fitted.  What a pain. 

Offline Joe S.

• Trade Count: (30)
  • A Real Regular
  • The poisonous mushroom!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 09:18:59 AM »
why wouldnt it group?
Joe S.
Central MS

"An armed society is a polite society."

redistribute work ethic!

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 09:46:06 AM »
And I was thinkin' the 'low luster' finish was on purpose to not give you away and scare the game.........
Dont most companies charge more for camaflage? ;)
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline lendar

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 03:04:42 PM »
Why wouldn't it group? a great question, that I don't have the answer to.  In all the handi rifles I own only 2 of them shot good from the start, the rest had to be worked with to get them to group.  Most of what made them shoot good was learned on here, by asking questions and reading. 

Offline lendar

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 06:21:25 AM »
It now groups just fine.  190 Gr Ranch dog sized 358 and 43 grains of H-4350 did the trick.  I have been very happy with the ranch dog bullets in most of the handi's I own and this one is great.  It shot out of the 35 Rem at about 1 inch at 25 Yds.  Snow was to deep to go out to 100 Yds but I am sure it will be fine.  Load is from the lee load book for 200 gr SP and with this load it should be running around 2000 FPS.  No signs of leading and a great group.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 07:03:34 AM »
great to hear lender.... that was a fast turn-around.
i jus sent in j3's bc carbine receiver for ona them 45/70 18" barrels ana
whelen barrel... hope they have'um in stock.
we kan't wait ta play if these to gettum to shoot gud !!!
we know they will or can end up that way!! ;D
thanks ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 08:51:04 AM »
It now groups just fine.  190 Gr Ranch dog sized 358 and 43 grains of H-4350 did the trick.  I have been very happy with the ranch dog bullets in most of the handi's I own and this one is great.  It shot out of the 35 Rem at about 1 inch at 25 Yds.  Snow was to deep to go out to 100 Yds but I am sure it will be fine.  Load is from the lee load book for 200 gr SP and with this load it should be running around 200 FPS.  No signs of leading and a great group.

You should be able to watch that bullet at that speed :D

Lonny

Offline lendar

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »
I fixed it, thank you sir.  I also wanted to add that the only thing I did to the new 35 Rem barrel was to add an o ring, nothing else.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 12:49:12 PM »
Glad ya got it shooting good, I was gettin worried!  :D I get excellent accuracy and velocity @ 2140fps with the 200gr Beartooth and Varget, I worked up from Hodgdon's start data and just kept going up in ½gr increments, their max for a 200gr jacketed is 38gr. This load is only for stronger actions, not traditional 35 Remingtons. I've since worked with the Hornady  180gr SSP, using Super 35 Rem data, 2450fps is doable.

Tim

Offline kng

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 03:07:23 AM »
Why would they charge tax?
H&R/NEF:  .243, .308, .270, .357, .357 Talo, 45 BC Carbine, 45-70 Talo, .50 cal, .22/20 Versa, .22 Sportster
12 ga. turkey, 20 ga. Topper Model 88, .410, 20 ga. Ultra Light Slug Hunter, 20 ga. Tamer

Offline lendar

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 03:35:56 AM »
They told me they do it for all 50 states.  When I contacted my state (Pa), I was told they are allowed to collect sales tax and they do send it to Pa.  When I did barrels under H&R they never included sales tax.  Ain't much you can do about it.