Author Topic: Hodgdon Superformance Powder for 30-06  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Zeak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Hodgdon Superformance Powder for 30-06
« on: January 17, 2011, 09:10:02 AM »
I see that Hodgdon has come out with this powder to replicate the Hornady factory loads. I,m looking for some load data for the 30-06 and seem to not found any. Went to thier web site and they have only a few cals. listed. I see that they have a annual manual and am wonding it they have some loads listed for the 30-06 and others. Went to Hornadys and didn't have any thing on their site either. Just looking for information where to look or some loads that you have.  Zeak

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Hodgdon Superformance Powder for 30-06
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 10:04:01 AM »
Zeak

From what I understand , they only have a few rounds that have been fully worked up , others are still in testing and may not be published for some time yet , the 06 may be one of them .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 10:59:14 AM »
The Hornady 8th has 30-06 data for 165gr and bigger bullets, but to be honest, there are a pot full of other powders that provide the same velocity. There's an article in the Jan "Rifle" magazine on designer powders, they show compared data for Reloder 17 which is another "super" powder, in the comparison, only a couple chamberings show a significant performance improvement, all the rest were a negligible change or many even lost performance. I suspect the same will hold true for the Superformance.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 03:21:28 AM »
When you own a chronograph and test loads over them you will also find that the factory advertised velocity for most ammo is overstated.

There is no load data for the Superformance in the new 2011 Hodgdon manual for the 30-06.

From what they say in this manual only certain bullet, primer, case combination will show an increase in velocity over other powders. They stress TO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING in the load data that they give for Superformance powder.

For me I have not shot anything yet that could stand up to a 30-06 shoving a med to heavy bullet pushed by IMR 4064 or one of the 4350's applied to the right spot.  ;D

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 04:16:19 AM »
i tried the reloader 17 in a browning long track 30-06. i put it through my crony and got 2670 + -, with nosler accubond 180's. not that it would do better in a bolt gun. 1 1/2" group. will try it in my bolt gun when snow melts

Offline Zeak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 09:22:30 AM »
I may try some Reloader 17 for the 06. Looking at some other forums and load data, the 06 seems to do well with it. Been using IMR 4350 and get pretty good accurcy with that powder. Just looking for alittle more speed with good accurcy!!! Zeak