Author Topic: Mini 14??  (Read 3661 times)

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Mini 14??
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2011, 05:42:34 AM »
Nothing wrong with a Mini 14. I think a person needs to be honest with themselves before they purchase though. It will never make one hole groups, and older ones are routinely pattern shooters. The light barrels heat up fast making the stringing even worse if you are playing at Army man. High cap magazines are prohibitively expensive, and none other than Ruger should be considered reliable.

If you live in the big woods, where 100yds shots are considered fairly long, it'll do. If you want a Semi Auto .223 rifle and are on a budget, it'll do. If you don't want to, nor ever will clean a rifle, it'll do. If you are sorta afraid of what the neighbors will think of an evil black rifle it'll do. Ruger has finely started selling high cap mags to the general public.

If most of your interests run towards fun and reliable you should be happy with a Mini 14.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline S.S.

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2011, 06:33:58 AM »
Because it isn't a military rifle.

it isn't?
The AC-556 is a fine military weapon.
When you get right down to it, the semi-auto
AR is not a military weapon either.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2011, 03:54:40 PM »
If the AC-556 is used by any military force I'm unable to discover who they are.  The AR though a toy, is born and bread on the battle field.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2011, 12:17:31 AM »
"If the AC-556 is used by any military force I'm unable to discover who they are.  The AR though a toy, is born and bread on the battle field."

While I disagree that the primary battle weapon of several wars is a "toy".  I have to agree with Swampy that I also cannot find ANY records of the AC556 being used or issed to any military.  The only records I could find were accounts of the AC556 being sold to 3 state trooper agencies and a number being sold to the French Police... :\

The first accounts of the AC556's being sold were in 1972 and they were officially catalogued in 1973.
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2011, 01:40:25 AM »
I believe the AC-556 is the military arm of one island nation in the Bahammas.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2011, 08:48:16 AM »
Because it isn't a military rifle.

it isn't?
The AC-556 is a fine military weapon.

I think the U.S.Air force adopted the Simi only version with out forward asst. before any other branch adopted the select fire weapon. Last I heard the USAF was a military
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2011, 10:36:18 AM »

I must have missed that gem...

By the same logic, if a semi automatic AR15 (Oh yeah, the automatic versions have a semi automatic setting as well...) isn't a military rifle then these are not military rifles either...

M14
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine
SKS
AK 47 semi automatic varients
AK 74 semi automatic varients
ect...
I'm sure you can see the absurdity of where this is going...

I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2011, 10:43:27 AM »
Actually the M1 Garand, the M1 carbine and the SKS are all semiauto in their military guise.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2011, 10:58:47 AM »
M-14 vs the M1-A would be close to the M16 vs AR 15 other than some M1-A's are being used to fill in for desinated marksman guns due to a shortage of servicable M-14's. Some of the first AR 15's had the M-16 reciver and parts at gun shows to convert them were aval.though illegal to put togather . Now the reciver is different and the guns have a 3 round burst limiter . Some AR's may also been provided to other countries ....

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2011, 12:52:53 PM »
Actually the M1 Garand, the M1 carbine and the SKS are all semiauto in their military guise.

The exact point i'm making as well.  To say that a semi-auto AR is "Not Military" is stupid.  The civillian AR's offer the same contour bbls, same fully auto grade bolt carrier groups, same if not better gas systems than the military offers.  The only thing at all that seperates them is the fully automatic selector group.  The fact that a weapon is "less military" because it is semi-automatic is an uneducated statement if I ever heard one.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2011, 01:42:45 AM »
The AR-15 was desinated the M-16 when accepted into military service . The org. AR-15 was selective fire. Today the AR-15 is used by Colt to desinate the simi version sold to police and civilians. Others use AR-15 for any AR type rifle.

So the M-16 is but one variation of the AR weapon system , same for the M-4 or AR-10 which was the first AR. and don't forget the AR-18 which was made by the firm that made the first guns .

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2011, 04:03:20 PM »
The newer mini-14's do have accuracy improvements also the mini-14 can support a folding stock which was a hard requirement for my application.   Also, the mini-14 will work fine if you dont have any lubricant and are in the rain and sand for long periods of time.

The AR's are great guns.  It comes down to the application and how much $ you have.

Offline gunblade

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2011, 09:29:03 AM »
Funny thing, I've never seen a Mini with a bullet seater on the side.........wonder why?

Actually, the Mini 14 op rod can be used as a forward assist...just as it can be on the M1, M14/M1A, and M1 Carbine.  If the bolt fails to go into battery, just bump the op rod handle with the heel of your hand and you've just performed a forward assist.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2011, 03:50:23 PM »
Ac-556 was used extensively in Beiruit  and in several Central American "Disputes".
They were also in north west Africa in small numbers.
And you will find no data on who was using them, that was the whole idea.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2011, 05:07:22 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me when someone starts a thread on one of the Minis folks bash it for it's lack of accuracy.
Then these same folks draw from their experience or lack of to champion the M16 as something far superior.
That wonderful black rifle as issued has a average accuracy of 4 MOA that's right it's a tack driver ::).
The ejector spring is a freaking joke the extractor is weak many of the parts are way to delicate.
And the worst part is the gas system not only is it hard to keep clean under heavy use in field conditions it's prone to breakage and it defecates where it eats.
Don't take my word for it check this out.
http://www.madogre.com/Interviews/Hate_the_AR15.htm

Pat

" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2011, 05:16:44 AM »
I guess it would be better to talk real world use as it applies to the user. I have had both and both have jammed. The piston gun in AR's addresses the poop on its plate rather well. That said most of us can clean our guns if needed. Most don't carry as issued M4's but guns of the accuracy we can afford.
 I checked out the rant some if not most all has been addressed over the years but there was truth there. Folding stock on some AR's is no problem.
 The AR is a platform that can be built to need the Ruger is OK if it fits your need . I don't think either is the end all best gun that would be the M1-A  :D.

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2011, 07:47:43 AM »
I don't think either is the end all best gun that would be the M1-A  :D.

Correct ;D

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356