Author Topic: Theodore Roosevelt's outdoor writing  (Read 701 times)

Offline jackruff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Theodore Roosevelt's outdoor writing
« on: December 12, 2010, 08:27:48 AM »
Who besides me has discovered the outdoor writing of Theodore Roosevelt?  In his book Hunting the Grisly and Other Sketches, he writes:  "The sense of sadness and loneliness, the melancholy of the wilderness, came over me like a spell."  Has anyone had this feeling?  I know I have.

Offline Empty Quiver

Re: Theodore Roosevelt's outdoor writing
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 01:42:15 PM »
Oh yes, generally it is attached to thoughts of day to day responsability. It is good to focus my mind on hunting and the outdoors, leaving all the trappings of modern life behind. At some point I always come back to the thought that my reality is not living in the woods, and there is the melencholy.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline IOWA DON

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 02:26:32 AM »
During the past couple years I've read some of his writings including African Game Trails and realy enjoyed them. It was a different time but he liked to run game down with a horse. He also made shots which he was not sure of thinking that if one shoots more he is going to hit more. Now days we might consider that unsporting behavior but the type hunting he did not care for was sitting in a stand waiting for game. Also, his opinions about some of the African natives would really piss off Jesse Jackson.

Offline nhdog

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 08:46:08 AM »
He wrote about,and in a far different place and time for most of us, that is for sure, and that I think explains many of the things he did and said and that makes many today wonder, but then again wouldn't all of us want to be able to spend as many months as he did and shoot the number of animals he did in "African Game Trails"? He definitely thought that when... there was lead in the air, there was hope in the heart ! 
If you like check out some of my hunt photos at
http://www.livingthedream.wyndencleh.com/index.html

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 12:30:38 PM »
 :D Over the years, i have read a great deal of TR's stuff..I think I read African Game Trails when I was about 12..took me most of the school year to get it done, but I made it...TR did shoot alot, but I think he also had some inferior ammo compared to what we have today..Also his eye sight was NOT the best..and when shooting iron sights that can be a handicap...he certainly lived in a differen time..he took rifle pratice on Sagamore Hill in N> Y. and I think maybe at the white house...I am certain he looked on life differently than we do, but then most of the liberals look at life different than I do...