Author Topic: Here is for paying attention...  (Read 654 times)

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Here is for paying attention...
« on: February 08, 2011, 02:25:25 PM »
So my 7mm ultra mag load for hunting is a 160grn tsxfb at 3150 or so.... I made that load for long range power yadda yadda.  I wanted to use a bt bullet, but they only made that up to the 150grn, which is why the 160fb.

So I'm on the website, looking at some info for ballistics calculations... I notice that the bullet I'm using has a bc of .392, and the 150grn ttsxbt is at .450.  Well that'll makes a difference!

Turns out the 150 grain load i had made a couple years ago was out powering my 160 grain load by about 150ft*lbs at 500 yards. 

Time to start some redevelopment.

Which is the only problem shooting barnes.... load development is expensive!!
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Re: Here is for paying attention...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 04:07:40 PM »
Just askin.... there are Hornadys in the 154-162 gr range with bc in the 530-560 range, why would you not try them, or have you had problems with them ??
remember the starfish

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 04:59:47 PM »
im a barnes guy, just the way it is. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 12:08:26 AM »
they probably had to make the 160 more rounded compared to a more streamline 150 because barnes bullets being made from copper and copper is lighter then lead core bullets and if they made it longer vs more puggy it would take up to much powder space.
blue lives matter

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 09:47:58 AM »
Have you used the 160 out to 500yds? Did it do the job? If so, I'd leave well enough alone. But that's ME.
 These days, IN MY OPINION, too many folks are relying on what the numbers are instead of what works. According to the numbers, there ain't no way a bumblebee oughta be getting his butt off the ground..but he does, every time.

Don't flame me too bad...

HWD

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 02:27:16 PM »
Well the 150's and 160's i have loaded have shot about the same, and I have no doubt about either of them being able to do the job. 

But I havent developed a new load in this rifle since 08.... hahaha, sounds about time to me!

I would have to say that all the numbers work good to get people excited to try new things and go further than what they did before.... Well, and get me to spend money. 

And my bottom rung on my bdc will move out some yards..   ;D

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 02:28:29 PM »
they probably had to make the 160 more rounded compared to a more streamline 150 because barnes bullets being made from copper and copper is lighter then lead core bullets and if they made it longer vs more puggy it would take up to much powder space.

Yeah... its too bad the MRX silvex cored are like $1.50 a bullet.  They are appealing, solve part of the weight problem.