Author Topic: New fast twist Hornet and heavy lead bulets?  (Read 669 times)

Offline Canuck Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
New fast twist Hornet and heavy lead bulets?
« on: January 21, 2011, 12:23:48 AM »
I am waiting patiently, yea right, for my paperwork so I can buy a 22 Hornet.  I'm planning a plinker with iron sights or maybe a Leupold 2.5X UL scope I own already.  The plan is to experiment with lead bullets in the 60 grain range at non gas check speeds, say 1800 max.  My goal is 22WMR type performance in a real economical rifle to shoot.  I don't hunt so it needs only to be a terror for tin cans and 100 yards capable.

Anyone tried heavier lead cast bullets in a Hornet? Any opinions regarding this scheme?

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: New fast twist Hornet and heavy lead bulets?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 12:38:56 AM »
If you're gonna shoot cans and want 22 mag performance why don't you just get a 22 mag?

Spanky

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 04:23:44 AM »
Thats what happened to me.
I had 2 Hornets, both nice guns, but after several years and 3000+ rounds, mostly shooting for groups, lots of variations, note taking, etc. I concluded my H&R UV .22Mag was as good, often better and always had something 'loaded' up and ready to dance.
I have a variety of Maggie ammo for about any purpose now, resighting for each is likely, of course, but my go to is Win. Dynapoint 45gr HP@ 1500 (chrono), which matches my best .22H lead loads in a 1:16 twist (heavier wont stabilize). Win. jacketed 40gr. HP or FMJ full Maggie loads print 1" higher (IIRC) if Im -0-ed at 50yd. and let me reach out there as far as I would have with the Hornet. The +V stuff does require a re -0- of the scope.
For me, the next step up from a .22Mag is really the .223; you can load it 'down' to .22LR - .22H or up full, and the fast twist has a lot better chance of working with 60gr cast, as you want.
And the cases are a lot easier to mess with in .223 !
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline telebasher

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:02:08 AM »
Accuracy with cast bullets in the Hornet depend greatly on matching the rate of twist of your barrel to the length of the bullet you choose.  Modern Hornets come with twists that vary from 1 in 9 to 1 in 16.  Different alloys for different targeted velocitys also need to be considered. Your max velocity of 1800  Fps will most likely cause some leading without using gas checks.  1500 fps might be a more resonable velocity without checks.  The Lyman 225438 bullet is generally considered THE Hornet bullet it will work very well in most if not all Hornets.  It is a gas checked design but I shoot them @ 1200fps to duplicate 22 LR with 2.7 gr Alliant Bulls eye and small pistol primer  with no gas check.  Accuracy is generally 5shots< 1 inch @ 50 yds, absolutely no recoil and no leading.  For longer ranges alittle more velocity might be called for, 4 to 5 gr Unique works great  @ 1400 -1500 fps. These bullets are cast from air cooled wheel weights and the small  short little bullets from my newer mould weigh 50 gr IIRC. Get a Hornet and enjoy!

Offline Tommie D

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 01:01:30 PM »
Some people just don't understand!!!   Go for it as I am. I'm going to start with the Lyman 225415 55gr gc to start with. I think it was telebasher who recommended this website to me. It's a great place to learn.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 06:22:24 PM »
It's not always in stock..  but of less then $20 I realy like this mold...

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000622BATOR

the  short 55gr  would work with a slower twist too..
 I can send you some 60 gr Saco   but they are just wheelweight  -- so only good to 1200fps without GC     ...
 Not saying Lyman molds aren't great                                Dan

Offline Gaz-52

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 02:00:59 AM »
          I load 55gn. flat-nose gas checked CBE cast bullets for my 1:9 twist H/R hornet. I  load 1.7gns.Trailboss  for a "quieter" load  or 8.5 gns. of ADI. 2205 for a little more pace,and noise. I tumble lube the bullets with Lee Alox before sizing & fitting the gas checks. No problems with leading. Bullets are cast from wheel weights  , dropped from mould onto a wet towel .they can be hardened by heat treating later if you want , but the tin cans and paper targets can't tell the difference  ;).
         I tried 36gn Barnes Varmint Grenades with a few different loads earlier on in this rifle .The results were poor in all cases. ( maybe I gave up too soon ). IMHO. 50gn to 63gn bullets are the way to go with these fast twist hornets. The Handi break action allows you to seat the bullet out a bit further than would be possible with a bolt-gun.
                                          Cheers
                                           Gaz.

Offline dovehunter

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 04:58:13 AM »
I worked up a squirrel load consisting of commercial Beartooth 45 gr. lead gas checked RN bullets, over 3 gr. of Unique in Winchester cases and CCI-SP primers.  Yes that is small pistol primers as that's what everyone on this board recommended to me for use with reduced loads.  I've never tried it at 100 yds. but it gives great accuracy at 50 yds.  I don't have a chronograph so I couldn't check the velocity, but everything I've read would suggest that this load would be essentially comparable to a high-speed .22 LR.  At any rate it is great on squirrels and doesn't seem to tear up the meat any worse than long rifles.

Offline Canuck Bob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 06:22:55 PM »
Thanks to everyone.  I want a Hornet because it can be loaded up if desired.  Also I really enjoy handloading and 22 WMR ammo is stupid expensive here in Canada.

Its busy season for me so sorry for the delay in response.