Author Topic: What's not to like about a 10mm for cc  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Mike in Virginia

• Trade Count: (0)
What's not to like about a 10mm for cc
« on: January 28, 2011, 03:48:25 PM »
When they were popular, my dept. issued the S&W, but decided against the full power loads.  We were issued the sub-sonic rounds, and the S&W wouldn't feed reliably.  When I was hired in 1970, we had Colt or Smith .38's and carried 158 gr. roundnose lead bullets.  In the 80's, we went to 9mm, then 10mm, and finally to the .357 Sig.  Now, in retirement for 7 years, I know they were onto something with the 10mm.

I can't understand why it fell from popularity?  I don't know why so many agencies and civilians prefer the weaker .40, unless it's because of the smaller frame guns.  I realize a .40 is good medicine for bad guys, but a 10mm loaded like it was intended falls somewhere between a .357 Magnum and a .41 Magnum.  It certainly provides more punch than a .45acp.  It'll shoot through car doors and windshields and still get the job done.  Recoil is quite managable, muzzle blast is far less than a magnum revolver, and magazine capacity is more than sufficient, yet, the 10 remains obscure, except for a few zealous shooters who know its worth. 

I realize the .40 is better than the respected 9mm, but it can never be what the 10 is.  I think if I were limited to one handgun, it would be a 10mm.  It works in the woods, at home, and on the street.

What say you?  Why do you not prefer a 10mm for CC?  I suspect most carriers object to the gun's size, which is a good argument.  Is that the reason?  I'm just wondering if I'm incorrect in my belief that we can't do better than a Glock 20, which shoots 16 rounds, each of which carries in excess of 700 ft. lbs. of energy.         

Offline williamlayton

Re: What's not to like about a 10mm for cc
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 11:36:03 PM »
There are arguements from both sides.
10mm is a good'un--it is a nitch caliber, IMO.
I will not do any better for the intended CCW purpopse than a .45.
It is a good woods gun--if you want a semi for the woods.
There ae a lot of nitch calibers out there.
I don't like the .40 either.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 03:19:08 AM »
Realistically it's a great round. But most of the guns chambered for it are big and heavy, things that you don't want in a CCW.  Also 10mm ammo is hard to find and cost an arm and a leg when you can find it.   Like William said it's a 'nitch' caliber.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 10:45:39 AM »
Realistically it's a great round. But most of the guns chambered for it are big and heavy, things that you don't want in a CCW.  Also 10mm ammo is hard to find and cost an arm and a leg when you can find it.   Like William said it's a 'nitch' caliber.

Good answer!

Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 12:08:07 PM »
A wise man once said " The last thing the world needs is another handgun cartridge ". I am suprised the .357 Sig has done so well. Many 9mm are about identical. But yes, as was said, a large frame 10mm is not for everyone. I think the recoil and blast would not impress purchasing decisions on a large scale. Plus, when the feds dropped the Bren Ten, most agencies followed suit. Great round in the deer woods though and for burglars.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 01:55:39 PM »
Good points, for sure, and I'm probably wrong, but I keep thinking of the tremendous firepower available in 10mm.  Someone above said it's no better than a .45acp for our purposes.  Perhaps that's true, but perhaps not.  I think it depends on the situtation.  If you had occassion to shoot through the steel door of your home, I'm not so sure a .45 would be the best bet.  If you had to shoot from inside or outside a vehicle through the windshield or a door, the 10mm is more likely to retain sufficient energy on the other side.  If for some weird reason you had to shoot a hundred yards, or if you like the concept of one gun all the time, the 10mm won't let you down, whereas a lesser powered cartridge might.  There can be no argument that a 10mm is difficult to conceal.  Daily carry is uncomfortable simply because of the size.  But a case can be made for the Glock, which weighs less than a 1911.  Bigger, but lighter.  A Delta Elite is no more of a burden than any 1911.  Then there's the Smith 310 Night Guard, another viable 10mm option. 

It's all a trade off, I know.  From a Ruger LCP to a Smith 29, handgun efficiency changes with bulk and weight.  Few of us would carry an N frame Smith or a Glock 20 to the grocery store on a Tuesday afternoon in August.  We might slip a 1911 or a 2" .38 in our waist band, but we fool ourselves to think we're better armed than if we had a 10mm.  We could go to the extreme with that arugument, I realize that.  Some handguns are just too dern big for CC, unless you go to the trouble of making them work in that capacity.  That's all I'm saying; of all the handgun calibers you can imagine carrying, what would serve you better in any imagined scenario that a 10mm?         

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 02:50:25 PM »

I agree! It won't do you much good if you leave it at home because it's too bulky to conceal and feels like you're carrying a lead brick around after just a few minutes. As for .40, it's probably a good enough caliber, probably chambered in a handgun easy to conceal, but I just never liked a .40. To be fair no real reason though. I'd take a .45 over the .40 any day. I know Ted Nugent really preaches the worth of a .10mm. Availabilty of ammo, ease of conceal carry, and how smooth and reliable it shoots and you shoot one would be my main concerns were I you. I prefer my 9mm simply because it's very easy to find ammo, packs a lethal punch, and there's practicly no end the the handguns chambered for it. Heck, I'd carry an M-60 if that were possible. Since it's not, I'm happy with my PF-9 as it is very reliable, accurate and I shoot it well. For the woods, my favorite is a quallity single action .357.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 03:10:14 PM »
I reckon if open carry were legal on a national level it would revive the 10mm to some degree. The .44 Auto Mag as well.

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 03:24:38 PM »
I reckon if open carry were legal on a national level it would revive the 10mm to some degree. The .44 Auto Mag as well.

Boy aint that the truth!   ;)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 04:42:49 PM »
Ask yourself this... If the 10mm is so good why did the FBI drop it?

1) Many female and or smaller agents found it to be too much of a handful for them to shoot.

2) Too many instances of pass threws when shooting perps. 

The .40 S&W was developed because of the above problems. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 05:33:37 PM »
IIRC, the cartridge met their criteria but they simply wanted a cartridge that could be used in a smaller frame, as Brett said, for smaller agents.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 12:14:55 AM »
I will, most probably, catch some heat from the folks in Alaska, the cold climes.
If you want a semi platform--in colder climes/places where BIG critters roam--10mm is a very good choice, imo. The 44 mag may be a better choice in these climes---revolvers may be a better choice, if read correctly.
The subject is open for debate, but many feel the 10 is better than the 44mag in power.
I don't know---I have never been shot by either.
For a field gun---if I lived in these climes, and I won't--it would be a revolver as my choice of a field gun.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 01:23:32 AM »
I think it depends on the situtation.  If you had occassion to shoot through the steel door of your home, I'm not so sure a .45 would be the best bet.  If you had to shoot from inside or outside a vehicle through the windshield or a door, the 10mm is more likely to retain sufficient energy on the other side.  If for some weird reason you had to shoot a hundred yards, or if you like the concept of one gun all the time, the 10mm won't let you down, whereas a lesser powered cartridge might. 

You asked about 10mm Auto for Conceal carry? OK, so where is the threat here in your situations?

These entire situations are clearly not self defense scenes so if you were shooting people in these examples the law wouldn’t be on your side.

yooper77

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 01:54:11 AM »
Anywhere a 1911 will ride a 10mm 1911 will ride . A 10 shoots flater than a 45 and extends point blank aim a bit . Shooting 180 gr bullets in both 10 and 45  the 10 will go deeper in the target in most cases , the 45 will make a bigger hole. Nitch maybe but I suggest more are toted than people think. I like a J frame for carry . I also live where we can't keep a loaded shotgun or rifle with us . So the 10 is my back up. It is in the truck in warm weather or in a shoulder rig in cold weather. As for nitches , It is a good cal. for responce to road rage attemps. It also is a good packing woods gun . Mine goes fishing so its a good boat gun. Is it better than a 357 mag. I think it depends on bullet profile . Is it a 41mag. NO . In the lighter loads it comes close to 41 mag spec but no match. I would say it competes with the 357 mag. which it was to replace years ago. With the 8 shot S&W revolvers vs the 10 shot 1911 is it that important ? But with a Glock 20 well fire power is almost double and that's alot.
 The 9mm +p+ , 357 sig , 40 S&W , and 10 mm all are attempts to make a round that could exceede or at least duplicate the 357 mag revolver round. Anyone having trouble finding ammo check out Georga Arms , Its good ammo and reasonable in price.
Never knew it was a nitch gun but that seems a good choice of words . ;)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 01:58:26 AM »
Am I the only one that would like to see a beefed up airlite J frame in 10 mm and moon clips , Or " Ruger SP-101 Super 10 "
 ;) :D ;D ;) :D ;D ;) :D ;D ;) :D ;D ;) :D ;D

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 01:16:31 AM »
Since you asked-- :D--you are, imo. I would not shoot a L/W J frame in this caliber--nono- I would not.  :-*
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 05:32:21 AM »
I wonder how many who say they wouldn't have ever tried it ? I have a 340 pd . 12 ozs mine maybe a tad lighter since i replaced the factory grips with SS stocks. Its not to bad to shoot . In time maybe it will be like the first 44 mags were . They were going to break arms and ruin folks for life  ;D
 I would guess a 10 in a revolver like that would be about 357 level recoil but easier to reload.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 12:57:11 AM »
Bouncing Betty comes to mind. :o
Blessings

PS---these new smileys are growing on me. ;D
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 02:41:10 AM »
Its really not that bad . Long range session NO but like hunting , if needed doubt you would feel it. I have said it before why expect a gun to hit like the hammer of Thor on one end and feel like a powder puff on the other ?  ;)