Author Topic: How loose is ok?  (Read 432 times)

Offline Bsbiery812

• Trade Count: (0)
How loose is ok?
« on: February 12, 2011, 09:53:09 AM »
Saw a nice looking sb2 .223 in a gun shop, used, with a scope rail already installed today.  It looked good but was a little loose when broken open.  It had a loose feel and even a bit of noise because of the movement, but locked up tight.  Is this normal wear or a problem?  Just wanting to make sure it will be accurate and reliable. I realize this is hard to describe how loose, but just trying to get some advice. On the plus side the trigger was nice and light.  Thanks for any input.
Followed by Buzzards

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
Re: How loose is ok?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 10:02:02 AM »
check and see if the numbers scribed on the barrel lug matches the last numbers of the receivers serial #. thats one way to tell if its a factory match.... some have that info, some older
ones don't. just be sure the .223 is on a sb2 receiver. check the FAQ'S to tell the difference.
we have found a few pawn shops to have high pressure chamberings on sb1 receivers !!!! :o
until my paw-paw shut that project down  ;D
loose fit when open, is not bad. only loose when locked up is a major problem.
thank you, and good luck
j3
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 10:32:09 AM »
Tight when the action is locked up with the forend removed is the best check, sometimes the forend will make it seem tight when it isn't.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 02:09:31 PM »
If the price is right or you can get the gun shop owner to lower the price because it's loose, I would check the serial number against what is listed in the FAQ's and find out the year it was made and if you can get barrels fitted to it from the factory, and also you could do a shim job as in the FAQ's or sell the barrel in the classifieds or trade it for another barrel and you could get one that locks up tight or with a little fitting.

Price is everything!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Bsbiery812

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 03:19:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies.   Just wanted to make sure i was not getting into a big problem.  Asking price is $225. 
Followed by Buzzards