Author Topic: Powder Choices  (Read 830 times)

Offline scratcherky

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Powder Choices
« on: January 30, 2011, 05:24:59 AM »
I am getting ready to load 41 mag rounds for my TC G2 Contender with 10 inch barrel. I would appreciate some insight on preferred powders. I plan on using both jacketed and cast bullets from 200 to 240 grains. I already have CCI 300 and 350 primers. I also have on hand H110 and Red Dot powder.
Thanks,
Don
Don & man's best friend
Still looking at the green side of sod

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
Re: Powder Choices
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 05:41:48 AM »
I have had two 41 Mag Contender barrels, a 10" and a 14".  I used IMR 4227 and 110 in mine with 240 gr XTP's.  Neither of my barrels shot worth a toot with the 4227, but turned in impressive groups with 110.

Never figured this out since my 41 revolver and rifle both shoot better with 4227.  Guess each gun has its own likes and dislikes.  I just always disliked the blast and flash with 110 even though you do get more velocity.

I am getting two 41 mag carbine barrels next week, one for a Contender and one for an Encore.  I hope they like the 4227 even though the flash and blast is not near as bad from a carbine barrel.

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 11:57:52 AM »
The H-110 should work real well.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 11:05:36 PM »
H110 is a standby for the 41 - works real well.  I like 4227 and 2400 too, especially when working up loads w bullets in the 250-265 range.  Back when it was available I used quite a bit of 630 but thats not available any more - H110 is better.  For lighter loads I have used Green Dot, Unique, Herco - probably others I can't think of.  I mostly stick with Unique now for light and medium loads.  I think any more Alliant says DON'T us Blue Dot in the 41 - I never used much before the warnings came out.

I have fooled withLil'Gun some but recent reading here on GB causes me to back off.  I was beginning to experiment with it but for some reason it kept me nervous and I never worked up to max loads with it.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 11:55:40 PM »
H-110 and Win-296 are virtualy the same as far as presure per weight. They are the best for high velocity loads. Although I have heard good reports about LilGun and it looks good on the charts compared to the other two. I have been using H-110 for over 25yrs but have been thinking about giving LilGun a try sometime.
I have been using Win-231 for about the same amount of time and I like it the best for light loads. It is cleaner burning than others and works well in my .38 and .45 calibers too.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline millwright

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 12:33:17 AM »
     Haven't loaded 41 for sometime but H 110 always worked for me.
The worst time to find your tongue is when you lose your head.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 12:40:10 AM »
i really like aa9 in the 41 for full power loads.
blue lives matter

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 03:30:32 PM »
H-110 and Win-296 are virtualy the same as far as presure per weight.

H110 and Win 296 are exactly the same powder, the only difference is lot to lot variation.  Comes up a fair bit in the forums, there's even a quote from a Hogdon rep in there somewhere that confirms it.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 04:22:24 PM »
NO BLUE DOT!!!!

Dangerous pressure problems, though lots of folks have used it for years.  There are many super powders available now.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=380506
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 06:49:24 PM »
I never heard of the warning about Blue Dot until now. It was the first powder I tried for low velocity loads when I first started reloading. I didn't have any success with it at all and eventually threw the remainder of the can out. If I had been smart enough to study the manuals, I would have come up with a better choice in the first place. Lesson learned!
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 10:18:42 PM »
I remember one other powder I've used - isn't made now.  AL8.  I was given most of a pound once.  Tinkered with some cast loads and found a really good one right away. While the bullets and the AL8 lasted, I loved it.  Was a great load and wish the powder was still made.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 12:40:45 AM »
I dont use bluedot anymore except in shotguns. It just goes from mild to wild in pressure to quickly in a handgun. If you want to use a powder near bluedot in burning rate hs6 is a much better choise
NO BLUE DOT!!!!

Dangerous pressure problems, though lots of folks have used it for years.  There are many super powders available now.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=380506
blue lives matter