Author Topic: Springfield XD 9mm or 40 for wife  (Read 906 times)

Offline Bruised

• Trade Count: (0)
Springfield XD 9mm or 40 for wife
« on: January 31, 2011, 03:36:27 AM »
 My wife just took her CCW class and is in the paper work process. In looking for a gun for her she really likes the XD sub compacts. I have a compact XD 45. The 45 is a little thick,but the smaller frames "feel right"  to her. Now my question. Is the 40 more difficult to control as far as recoil? what about cocking the slide? I don't know anyone who has comparable guns to test fire so am looking for answers from someone who has experience with both. Any other thoughts are welcome. By the way, I have a Ruger LCP and she doesn't care for it. Its too small. Thanks in  advance,
Bobby

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Springfield XD 9mm or 40 for wife
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 02:46:38 PM »
I think your wife is the one you need to be asking this question.  Check with ranges in your area that rent guns and arrange for her to shoot both a 9mm and a .40 and let her decide which is best for her.  Where do you live? maybe someone on this forum with one or both could arrange to meet up with you guys and let her shoot.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline ohiobenito

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 04:52:35 AM »
my wife has a 9mm XD sub-compact.  With today's modern ammunition and ballistics I feel the 9 is adequate.  the little gun has a little jump to it.  And she did have a little trouble with the slide at first.  This is where practice comes in.... after a few magazines of ammo she found a way to rack the slide that was comfortable for her.  I would personally suggest a  S&W  air weight 38.  less moving parts and no mag release to hit in a panic.

Offline shot1

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 03:52:09 PM »
I just read about a good way to pick a caliber for anyone to decide on. If you can not draw the weapon from your carry position and from 7 yards place 6 shots into the A zone of a human target in 2 seconds you are over gunned.  Many women as well as men can not do this with small frame 40 S&W. I agree with the small frame 38 revolver especially for women.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 06:17:30 PM »
The wife chose an XDsc in 9mm. Never shot the 40 for comparison.

She shot both my SP2340 and a P239 SIG in 40S&W and was not happy with either, the P225 in 9mm was her favorite but simply too large for her hand. The XD 40S&W was not even an option as far as she was concerned.

The S&W M&P however very nearly came home. I believe she liked the feel better. The loaded chamber indicator as well as price made the difference.

Premium bullets answer most of the past shortcomings of 9mm. Remember too, your wife will not be called upon to shoot through windshields or other barriers. This was what the 10mm and less so the .40 S&W were developed for.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Bruised

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 07:25:57 AM »
 Thanks for all the replies. I suggested a revolver also but she is more comfortable with the semi-auto?? The only place to rent guns around me is a good drive. There is a local range but I will not patronize them because of the way they treated my wife when she was Christmas shopping for me. I found someone who will let us shoot a full size XD-40,but I don't know how much difference there is than the sub-compact. If I buy her the 40 and she doesn't like it I guess I'd have to get her a 9mm and keep the 40 for myself ;D
Thanks again,
Bobby

Offline Hit or Miss

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 05:01:51 AM »
I highly recommend any guy who is helping his wife pick a gun read some articles at www.corneredcat.com.  Kathy Jackson has some excellent advice.  I would also recommend having the wife do some research there.

I took my wife to the range with all of my pistols and let her shoot each one.  She picked a revolver as her favorite to use as she hates racking a slide due to hand strength issues.  She now owns a S&W model 15 with CT laser grips of her very own.  If she decides to get her carry permit I'll probably lose my 637 airweight to her! 8)
Which lie got to you so that you refuse Him???

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 05:09:32 AM »
Shot1, are you are talking about drawing from a concealed carry position, at the beep, getting 6 a-zone hits at 7 yds in 2 seconds. From shooting IPSC for a lot of years, I can tell you that the majority of the people on this forum can't do it. I don't think that drill is a good way to decide what size gun you carry.