Author Topic: Hard rubber balls  (Read 1975 times)

Offline doc623

• Trade Count: (1)
Hard rubber balls
« on: December 14, 2010, 03:57:17 AM »
Has anyone tired using hard rubber balls for practice?
If so where did you find/source for the balls?
How did they work?

Offline Flint

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Hard rubber balls
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 09:42:21 AM »
Sounds like a good way to get a ball right back in your face, I would suggest not trying it.....
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 03:48:38 AM »
I've used the 38/9mm hard rubber/plastic wadcutters primer powered for my cartridge powered guns as a garage practice and rat killer.  They're very accurate at short ranges, although I did take a squirrel at 15yds with one, thought it would only scare it and bang flop.  A friend with a 36cal b/p revolver tried some in his, using only caps and they worked, don't know about the accuracy, he's not a good shot with real bullets.  Speer makes them and Midway had another brand that were hard rubber in assorted calibers, thye are reusable and a box of 100 lasted me a few years.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 05:51:07 AM »
We talked about glu-balls a while back.  I now use them in my basement range with 5 gr. of BP and 10 gr. of CofW.  Not bad, at least I get to shoot the revolvers some more then I would.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline doc623

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 07:05:51 AM »
I seem to remember reading on possibly another thread that someone found a source for hard round rubber .45 or.50 dia. balls that were used for practice using a cap and little or no powder.
I cannot remember or find that post.
I have seen the X-ring rubber bullets and Midway does have them.
I would like to find a source for round balls.
Any help form anyone?
And as far as having them bounce back and him me; well I think that would be not very likely.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 04:47:04 AM »
If you were to fire them at a hard surface I think bounce back would be almost certain, even lead balls will bounce back from wood if fired with a very light powder charge and they come back with enough force to really hurt, I'd hate to catch one in the face.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline 45LCshoooter

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 02:25:51 PM »
The X-ring bullets are not round and have a slightly wasp-waisted shape similar to airgun pellets. They can bounce, i suppose, but they are thin in cross-section and very light, i think the bounce would be rather erratic... The suggested method for using them on targets is to shoot into a heavy cardboard box with a window cut out which the target is placed over. If you do it with flaps on top side, they will deflect into the bottom of the box. I've used them against squirrels that were raiding birdfeeders when there were houses in the background.

I don't know about solid rubber projectiles, tho.
All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline .22-5-40

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 04:39:44 PM »
Years ago, I drilled out a set of niples for an 1860 Colt repro. Made up a swaging die for making beeswax balls.  worked great at garage length distance & did wonders to beat those long-winter blues!  ;D  Just make sure you remove those oversized nipples before loading powder charged loads!