Author Topic: Have you noticed any consistency difference in CCI and WIN primers?  (Read 576 times)

Offline tacotime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Just wondering about primer performance consistency, round to round on the target paper with these two primers.   I had been using all of one and switched to the other with a new load and got a cloverleaf on the paper.  Not sure if it is the different primer or the load.  Have not had a chance to re-test both of them yet.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Have you noticed any consistency difference in CCI and WIN primers?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 09:37:22 AM »
its not that one is better then another its that that load in that gun liked that primer. Switch loads and it could change again. Many people overlook the drastic change in group size just a differnt brand of primers can make.
blue lives matter

Offline deerandduck

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 05:44:53 AM »
I did a small test one day with my 308 in testing CCI 200s, WLR (gold colored) and WLR (silver, older ones).  For my gun, using the exact same load, the WLR (silver) was slightly better grouping, the CCIs were second and the WLR gold third.  Mind you, the difference in groups was less than 3/4" groups.  Overall, I would not mind changing to CCI from WLR in this gun with that load.
Deerandduck

Offline Huntz

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 11:40:18 AM »
I have given up on CCI primers.Their quality control is terrible. >:(
Politically Incorrect

Offline tacotime

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 03:57:39 AM »
What do you see that shows bad quality control?

Offline fast*eddie

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 01:40:28 PM »
I have had good luck with the CCI primers . What's the problem with them ?
Semper Fi !

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 05:40:08 PM »
I have had more problems seating CCI primers in handgun cartridges than either Winchester, or Remington primers.  At first I thought it was the primer pockets, but when I changed to the other primers, most of the problems went away. The exeption to this is Federal Brass, it sems to me that Federal brass has a smaller primer pocket than most other brands, and I only use Federal primers in Federal brass.

Anyone else run into this before?

cybin

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 02:45:15 AM »
Lloyd is right on. Many years ago, a friend and I was out at the range, checking loads for silhouette. His gun was a T/C 10'' in 7tcu. He had scoped it, and we were shooting groups at 100yds.
He was consistently getting under 2'', when all at once, the groups were 4'' and bigger. We couldn't figure out, what happened, when I noticed that the color of the primers were different in his ammo box. When I mentioned this, he said he had run out of one kind of primer, and had finished loading with another brand.(it's been many years back, but I believe that he was getting good groups with Rem.71/2 br., and had switched to standard CCI).
That little experiment convinced me, that what your gun like's, stick with it. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline tacotime

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 07:34:31 AM »
Not exactly that situation but I recently did get brand new Hornady .458WM brass and the WLRM primers would BARELY go in the pockets.  The same primers went into Winchester brass like into butter.  I don't have any CCI magnums to compare.  But I do have CCI large rifles to compare to WLR and find no difference in these going into new or old bass, which is all 45-70 REM brass in this case.  Easy and seemed about right.

Since the original post, I tested CCI and WLR in the same loads and found no significant difference in accuracy/groups.