Author Topic: Question about Brass  (Read 703 times)

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
Question about Brass
« on: February 03, 2011, 11:13:31 AM »
Folks,

I was sorting through some brass for an upcoming reloading session and I came across about 80 pieces with an LC 79 headstamp that were in a bag of once fired 38 spl. Looks like 38, but no caliber on the headstamp. I'm figuring LC = Lake City, but I can't find any info on LC 38 brass. Here's the problem, the primer pocket is smaller than the other brass so I can't get any of the Remington small pistol primers I have to seat. The case mouth is just a tad smaller too, just by trying to seat a bullet by hand. I've yet to take the calipers to it.

The other thing is the only info I can find on an LC 79 headstamp is all rifle brass. So do I have cut down rifle brass, or is it a wildcat brass? What do I have here?

Mahalo,
Chaps
held fast

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: Question about Brass
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 01:52:11 PM »
i'll bet the primers were crimped in you will need to swage the primer pocks out and get rid of the crimp did you bell the cases mouths out after resizing if not they won't fit.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline DCT

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 03:30:22 PM »
I used to shoot a lot of military 38 brass. The primers are crimped so you have to remove the crimp after you deprime them.
I found that the brass is a little thicker than commerical brass and you have to bell the mouth a little more to get the bullets to seat properly. At least that is what worked for me.

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 07:31:35 PM »
Is there a way you'd recommend to swags the pocket that doesn't require another tool? I've got the lee pocket tool that just scrapes it out.
held fast

Offline JRiddle

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 05:25:47 AM »
TN,

I think you'll need another tool, if when you say 'scraper' you are referring to a cleaner/uniformer.  It will have the cutting edges on the end.  What you need will be called a 'reamer', it will have the cutting edges on the sides.  Here's an example.
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00005041203

Your other option is to swage.  Which basically means you force the pocket back to boxer primer dimensions using force(leverage from your press) vs. trimming.  Here's an example.
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000449495

Hope that may help a little.  And for a little background info, I believe the brass would be originally from ammo designated  PGU-12/B, 130gr., Ball, used by the AF.  I'm 'pretty sure' that it was the only .38spl ammo made by Lake City in '79.
JR

edited to add:  I also agree with DCT on the brass thickness issue.  I would also consider doing a comparison of case volume with some commercial brass(or whatever you normally reload), as the LC79 will probably have less, due to thicker brass.  If you find a significant difference in volume AND load on the uppper ends of the +P spectrum, I would lower the charge a bit and work back up, as the volume difference will affect pressure.  If you're just doing a mid-range load, I don't think you have much to worry about.
"Give me Liberty...or I'll get up, and get it myself."

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 06:29:36 AM »
Thanks for all the help, gents! I think I'll see if there's someone else out there who'd have the time and inclination to swage them. I have more 38 brass than I can shoot right now.

Mahalo, Chaps
held fast