Author Topic: Leverevolution 45-70 brass  (Read 1103 times)

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Leverevolution 45-70 brass
« on: February 19, 2011, 11:35:58 AM »
got out a box of once fired Hornady Leverevolution 45-70 Brass to do some reloading today, and discovered that it measured 2.035".  That is .060" short.    :o  Using my Lee dies, and a OAL of 2.55" I can't crimp my loads. any solutions?

Offline res45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Leverevolution 45-70 brass
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 01:26:57 PM »
Leverevolution brass is trimmed shorter to begin with because of the design of the FTX bullet it was loaded with.  Since I have no experience loading any of that type brass my only suggestion is to either use the FTX bullet to load in that brass or get new brass. 
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline rangerwillie

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 02:20:36 PM »
I found the shorter hornadys to be a problem also. I cant crimp them. I decided to use them for my 500 gr cast. Last month I found an old set of 45-70 dies, I played with them for a while with the same results. My son and I did some mic work and he put the old seater die in his lathe and removed some  of the bottom ( about .055 ) and now I can crimp those hornady with any bullet. dan

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 05:52:45 AM »
I've heard that about the .357 LE as well. Apparently Hornady neede to shortenn all of their cases to accomodate the longer bullets.  I can't help but wonder if the reduced case length will play havoc with reloading formulas?
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 04:02:41 PM »
tried reloading some today with 405gr cast bullets and just not crimping them, since I only shoot 45-70 in my contender, i don't think it will be a problem. Gonna test them out tommorrow.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 03:46:56 AM »
I noticed that the first time I shot some.
I was shooting them out of a Marlin guide gun.
The Marlin is long gone, but the ammo is still being shot out of my BC handi.
I had an order of Star brass from Grafs I've been using for it.
Looks like I might needs to do some studying on this before I use the Hornady brass.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 11:44:25 AM »
Ok tried out yesterday's loads, all were standard pressure (trapdoor level) loads and shot fine, didn't see any signs of leading at the front of the chamber and absolutely no pressure signs.  Also tried some level 3 loads with 50gr of IMR 4198 behind a 250 gr Barnes tsx flat base hollow point.  Holy Moly!!! Got a 1" group at 50 yrds and totally smoked three one gallon water jugs lined up for a penetration test.  The only way I could "catch" a bullet was to shoot a 15" oak block and I got 9" of penetration there with the bullet tumbling and coming to rest base first.  However recoil was ferocious.  Now to wait for deer season so I can try em on white tails!