Author Topic: 45 ACP vs. 40 S&W  (Read 2061 times)

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
45 ACP vs. 40 S&W
« on: March 20, 2011, 06:12:18 PM »
I am looking to acquire a pistol for home defense. I've narrowed it to these two calibers. My experience with pistols is exclusively in revolvers and firing one other persons 1911. Curious to see what others with real world experience think of these two calibers.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline leprecon21

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 45 ACP vs. 40 S&W
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 06:37:04 PM »
For me it would be eather, I use the 40 S&W.
only because I'm more accurate with it.
with modern ammo it has become what you are comfortable with.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 06:52:30 PM »
A shotgun should prolly be your first line home defense weapon but a handgun definitely should be included in the mix. I haven't had a .45acp in perhaps 30 years and likely will never have another. I have several home and defense carry .40 S&Ws however along with shotguns and ARs for home defense.

Heck I have both a G22 and a S&W .357 Magnum in bed with me in addition to a loaded 12 ga pump within reach. The G22 has night sights and the S&W has CTC laser grips.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 12:34:59 AM »
I know it sounds like blasphemy but I've kinda gotten into the .40. I'm thinking my next 1911 will be in .40. Likely an STI double stack. Might even pick up a Tanfoglio Match in .40 as well. Both would make great a "Limited" gun for USPSA or ESP in IDPA. I can load for the .40 for about the same cost as the 9mm, and the .40 makes major PF without excessive pressures.
For a home defense pistol I think the .40 offers a good balance of power and capacity. My bedside pistol is a Glock 22 with an attached light.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 02:27:50 AM »
I agree with Bill. Based on your post, your experience is limited to revolvers and near null with a auto. Yet your going to base your safety on this? Steer clear of a auto, until you can run one "automatically". In other words, as second nature with out thinking on what to do if...

IMHO, more importantly than .40 vs .45 is Rev vs.  Semi auto vs. Shotgun.

Again, IMHO, your best choice is a shotgun, and then in an action your familiar with. My own suggestion is a Rem 870 or Mossberg 500/835. But if a Dbl is more you that's a better bet. Last choice would be a semi.

Second choice is a med frame revolver, caliber far less important than your ability to make it work and keep it in action. Flatly stated, revolvers work. In the event of a misfire, pull the trigger again. There is no worries about miss feeds. Moving parts don't normally get snagged on loose clothing as a slide can.
Caliber wise, choose something 38 Spl up to 44 Spl.  Magnums are not required, but the 357 is manageable. The 41 and 44 while excellent calibers in there own rite, offer too much recoil and muzzle blast. I would also steer clear of the semi auto calibers in revolvers as the loading of them is more difficult. Let that read slower.

THEN, what ever you end up with SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT IT!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline dks7895

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 03:18:37 AM »
For me it would be eather, I use the 40 S&W.
only because I'm more accurate with it.
with modern ammo it has become what you are comfortable with.

Well stated.  The best choice in a home defense firearm is one that is reliable, and fits like a glove.  Practice with it until you are very comfortable.   
Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR; Crosman Powermaster 760 .177; Crosman Storm XT .177; Mission X3

Offline shot1

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 03:36:39 AM »
Which one do you shoot the best? The 40 has a much sharper recoil than the 45 to me. You need to get something that you can get on target quickly with follow up shots. People don't react to being shot like you see in the TV programs especially if they are hopped up on something. I takes a few shots sometimes to stop the threat with a pistol. If you are not able to shoot and control one of the larger caliber pistols to get back on target quickly and fire multiple rounds ON TARGET then get you something you can do it with. A 9mm with good bullets, Gold Dots, XTP etc. to center mass will take a bad guy out just a quickly as a 40 or 45 will.  I agree that in a home situation a short barrel (pump) shotgun loaded with a turkey load of #4 lead shot or up to T shot in a steel load is about perfect. Things will be close range so aim because even with an open choke your shot patter will be about the size of a coffee cup. The smaller shot will do the trick but will not go through walls with a lot of force like buck shot will and kill one of your family members on the other side.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 07:05:20 AM »
I am looking to acquire a pistol for home defense. I've narrowed it to these two calibers. My experience with pistols is exclusively in revolvers and firing one other persons 1911. Curious to see what others with real world experience think of these two calibers.

I'm curious as to why you are thinking about a pistol for home defense when you state that you have more experience with revolvers?   I'm guessing that you are concerned about the capacity (or lack of) in a revolver.  I'm not criticizing, just wondered why you think you want a pistol?   In my opinion their is nothing wrong with a pistol as long as it is proven reliable and you take the time to practice with it.  Of course practice should be part of your routine if you're weapon of choice is a revolver or shotgun as well.   I think all the major players offer striker fired pistols in either caliber these days which mimic a DA revolvers simplicity of use. ie; long, relatively heavy trigger pull and no external safety devices to have to fiddle with. 

As far as .40 vs .45 goes I don't think there is a significant difference between them performance wise and you would not go wrong with either caliber.  The recoil of the .40 is a little snappier but practice and a gun that fits your han well will negate that.   Find the gun that fits your hand best and points most naturally for you in either caliber and you will do all right.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 08:00:58 AM »
Rather than picking a caliber then looking for a frame,
Why not pick a frame that you like and then deside on the caliber.
Most of the popular guns are based on a 9mm frame (Sig P229, Sig P226, Glock 17, Glock 19, Cz-75 and all the clones, Ruger P 85 series, Browning Hi Power, S&W  plastic guns and on and on)  The only guns that I knwo that have similar models are the S&W and the Spring field striker fired poly guns.
the 40 S&W will fit in the 9 mm frame the 45 is a larger framed gun.
Go out to your local shop and put a bunch of guns in your hand, see what is comfortable for you.
See what points for you.  No matter how much I like the glock 17 I can not shoot it because it does not fit my grip and my hands, with out having to rethink my grip.  In a home defence gun I want something that I do not have to think about the gun.  I want to point it and worry about the situation that caused the ump in the night than the align ment of my sights.
If the larger framed gun fits your hand and you like it get the 45.
With all that said.  I keep a 357 mag in the night stand.  A revolver does nto care if it is loaded or not.  I do not have to worry about springs ammo, or lube with a revolver.  KISS.