Author Topic: 1860 Uberti  (Read 884 times)

Offline jd45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
1860 Uberti
« on: December 26, 2003, 10:41:44 AM »
Happy New Year to All,
Since I started shooting my new toy I've noticed the "lock time" is noticibly longer than, say, my Lyman Great Plaines Rifle. From the instant the hammer starts to fall until the main charge goes off is, I would guess, & I admit this is a rough guess, a quarter of a second, whereas on my rifle, it's instantaneous, which means if you don't hold this thing rock-steady, you're probably gonna miss. If you're shootin at paper, no big deal.....but if at a critter, could mean the difference 'tween you gettin your dinner & not! Is this just the nature of the "beast", or what? Has anyone else noticed this, or am I crazy?
PS...I really enjoy shooting it with the shoulder-stock I got fot it.
                                                                   jd45

Offline Full House

1860 Uberti
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 12:58:09 PM »
What brand of caps are you using?

Fives over nines
Full House

Offline jd45

• A Real Regular
1860 Uberti
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 05:03:56 PM »
I'm using CCI #11 Magnum, mostly, altho I havw used a couple of their standard #11's, too. Do you suggest another brand? jd45

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
1860 Uberti
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2003, 06:41:30 PM »
Never noticed before, I've shot the walker, 1860 army, a cut down 1861 navy that pieta is passing off as a police model, and a 44 cal 1851.

I've never had one slow to fire, had a few that didn't light off, but that's about it.  I'm useing fff goex black powder and have mainly used cci magnum #11's, with more snaps and misfires from remington.

Your nipple holes may be to small, or too big, or more likely your powder may be a little on the slow side, what are you shooting powder wise?  Then again I'm on the slow side so I may not have noticed any lag time :-)

Also not sure if this helps, or if anybody else does this, after capping I cock and decock the hammer and use it to press the caps firmly on the nipples, as I don't shove them tight with the capper or with my thumb, I just use the hammer to do it.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline jd45

• A Real Regular
1869 Uberti
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2003, 02:56:27 AM »
I took the original factory nipples out & installed some I got from Thunder Ridge, as more than one person on this board has reccomended. I think their flash holes are .028. They're all the same size. The factory's were definately not uniform. Powder-wise, I'm using 22-25grs of Hodgdon's 777 in 3f granulation. jd45. Your point about using the hammer to further shove the cap on the nipples may help.....I'll try it. Thanx.jd45.

Offline Full House

1860 Uberti
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003, 08:28:58 AM »
Try some RWS 1075 German made caps...they are the hot.  Also, an Uberti 1860 uses a #12-28 nipple; futhermore, you need to check the overall length of the Thunderidge nipples and the length of the flange to the top of the nipple.  They could be the same overall length as the originals, but the length from the flange to the top could be shorter.  This would not give the hammer the full impact to completely brust the cap with force.  This is very common with all nipples.  Use micrometer readings or for a fast check cut strips of paper and use as a feeler guage.

Kings over Eights
Full House

Offline jd45

• A Real Regular
1860 Uberti
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2003, 10:26:48 AM »
I will measure the T-ridge nipples flange to top....what dimension am I looking for? & where can I get some of these RWS 1075 German caps?

Offline Full House

1860 Uberti
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2003, 12:20:20 PM »
Check to seen if the distance from the bottom of the seating flange to the top face of the nipple is the same as the ones that came in the 1860.  Cut strips of paper the width of a cap and ease the hammer back and slip the strip of paper between the cap surface and the hammer in full battery (all the way down) and see if the hammer is tight on the paper by pulling on the strip.  Sometimes a nipple can have one more or less thread and it does not change the overall lenght...only the distance from the bottom flange fully seated.

RWS 1075 caps are available from  www.dixegun.com/  ,if you need any more expertise...we need to get "Flint" involved.

Threes over Queens
Full House

Offline Full House

1860 Uberti
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2003, 12:23:07 PM »
Correction:  www.dixiegun.com/  .
Full House

Offline Super Rat

1860 Uberti
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2003, 12:55:32 PM »
The 1860 does have a long hammer fall, but I think the other posters are on the right track looking for other possible reasons.

When I shoot my 1860 I dont really perceive the lock-time, or see the hammer fall.

On them critters, just let them get real close so ya don't miss! :lol:
Brown Bess .75 calibre carbine, .62 calibre Jaeger, .58 Calibre slug gun.