Author Topic: Ticks are out  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Tom Threetoes

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Ticks are out
« on: February 15, 2011, 05:42:23 PM »
Warning watch for ticks!! I picked 3 of them nasty little vermin off my clothes today while we were taking down deer stands. I can't believe they're out so soon after all the cold weather.

Offline Dinny

• Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Re: Ticks are out
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 06:00:07 PM »
That is surely a surprise to me too. I never expect to see ticks until just before turkey season. Thanks for the warning, I'll be sure to spread the word.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 06:10:33 PM »
Warning watch for ticks!! I picked 3 of them nasty little vermin off my clothes today while we were taking down deer stands. I can't believe they're out so soon after all the cold weather.

That figures.  :( Two days after  +4f degrees and 8" of snow on the ground, a housefly shows up in the bathroom.   Thanks for the tip.  i've been out in the woods the last couple of days myself, and never thought of ticks.....
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 01:30:36 AM »
This may be a good thing.  Now that it has warmed up everything thinks it's spring and comes out.  Next week when it stays below freezing for a while as they are predicting many of them will come to an early demise.  Seen it happen before.  This kind of weather change plays havoc on the skeeter population.   ;)  I assure ya, spring is on the way.  Just yesterday there were hundreds of flocks of geese heading south.  One group of 4 or 500 took a break to mingle about 400' above my shop and literally bombed the crap out of my shop. >:( 

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 09:42:48 AM »
I saw my first mosquito just last week.....it was huge, after a close look I found a tick on it!
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 09:53:59 AM »
I saw my first mosquito just last week.....it was huge, after a close look I found a tick on it!

An old hermit says ticks are alergic to him when they get on him.  Says they swell up real big and turn grey then fall off and die.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 11:20:42 AM »
I had to take a cpr/aed coarse a few days ago and the paramedic was really up on a tick remover tool. I figured eventually I will run into one and get them for the dogs. I seem to end up pulling out more hair than tick. Every now and then their head stays in the dog and I have to take a long time fishing it out. Just seems like these little things would be more pleasant for the dog. You will have to watch a commercial first, but these things look pretty effective. He said they also have one for the little deer ticks. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb4svr_tick-removal-with-o-tom-tick-twiste_lifestyle
Molon labe