Author Topic: Newbie, Help list essential equipment needed  (Read 566 times)

Offline Minnesota1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Contributor
Newbie, Help list essential equipment needed
« on: February 17, 2011, 05:27:04 AM »
I'm getting stuff ready to go and get some casting equipment.  Could you guys list what I would need?  Here's what I am thinking I need:

1. Molds
2. furnace
3. a dipper
4. Cast Iron dutch oven
5. Lead, etc.

I've been reading as much as I can so I'm sure I'm missing out on a lot but just guide me in the right direction.  I know some stuff might just be fluff and others are essential.  Thanks for all your help.  I don't know how much I'll be casting so I probably won't want to buy super expensive stuff.

Thanks.

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Newbie, Help list essential equipment needed
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 07:21:08 AM »
I would strongly suggest you get a copy of the newest Lyman cast bullet book first, I have not seen it yet but have read it now list loads for molds other than just Lyman, Granted you will pick up bits and pieces of information on forms, But with a good cast bullet manual you will have all your questions answered without the need to pick and choose between the guy that knows what he is doing and the guy that has nothing better to do than answer a post with a one liner, that may or may not be good information.
Good luck with casting and be safe.

Offline Anduril

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 08:20:59 AM »
+1 on a manual. The 'net is good but I like to see it in print.

You can pan lube or use Lee Liquid Alox. You might need a sizer of some kind. The Lee push through sizer is priced right and works well.

For starters ,what firearm are you going to cast for?

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:24:23 AM »
I would strongly suggest you get a copy of the newest Lyman cast bullet book first, I have not seen it yet but have read it now list loads for molds other than just Lyman, Granted you will pick up bits and pieces of information on forms, But with a good cast bullet manual you will have all your questions answered without the need to pick and choose between the guy that knows what he is doing and the guy that has nothing better to do than answer a post with a one liner, that may or may not be good information.
Good luck with casting and be safe.

No really...You need one of my special lead ingots that I could spare for you today for only $600 to get you started ;D ;D  ;D

Actually the lyman reloading books are a great start and have a ton of information.  The RCBS cast bullet manual is good too but you will have to find one of those used.  If you can find someone close that has been casting for a while its even better.  I learned alot of good tips and tricks from a couple of guys that have been casting for 30+ years.  I am no expert by any means but have cast 1000s so far and its a blast!  You will get to a point that you won't like jacketed bulles ;D

Long leather gloves, long sleeves, long pants, socks and shoes are a must because you will eventually splatter some lead and its better on your clothes than on your skin.  My friend bought me a face mask but I have not been using it even though it is a good idea. 

There are a few other things you might add to your list like a lead thermometer, a large slotted metal spoon, I added a longer wooden handle to skim the junk from the melted wheel weights.  A cupcake pan is good for making ingots.

Treat bullet casting with as much respect as you do your reloading.  Mistakes can be very serious.  Water and lead is a bad combo!!!

Good luck,

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!