Author Topic: Lee Pro 1000 press  (Read 802 times)

Offline zeke08

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Lee Pro 1000 press
« on: January 30, 2011, 05:48:58 PM »
I just found a Lee Pro 1000 press with 9mm and 40 s&w dies for 70.00 I have only used RCBS Rock chucker! Is this a good press and have they had many problems. Thanks in advance I always feel better checking with the knowledge here first.
There are very few problems that can't be solved with the proper application of High Explosives!

If there is trouble let it be in my day, but let my kids have peace. Thomas Pane

NRA Life Member since 09

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Lee Pro 1000 press
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 05:51:53 PM »
lee makes good equipment and backs it with a good guarantee. I have not heard of any problems with this press.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 12:42:05 AM »
ive had a couple of them and wouldnt have another. Many will argue with me on this but there just to much of a headache. Id rather go back to loading on a turent press then use a pro 1000 or even a  loadmaster again.
blue lives matter

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 02:35:45 PM »
That progersive press probly weights abt. 1/2 as much as your Rock Chucker, that should tell you something. There is a very good reason it is so cheap.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 03:54:47 PM »
Like all progressive presses, they can be a bit fiddly to get set up and get familiar with.  I use mine for all of my handgun cartridge reloading, and other than self-induced issues have never had a problem.  It takes me maybe 2 minutes to change from one cartridge to another since I have shell plates, carriers, and turrets set up for all of the cartridges I load for.  I've loaded 10s of thousands of rounds on mine, and it is still going strong. 

That said, progressive presses aren't for everyone - you do need at least a bit of mechanical aptitude and willingness to learn and understand how the press operates more than you do with a single stage press like the Rock Chucker.  You are also limited in what rifle calibers it can handle - I personally use my Rock Chucker for my rifle cartridges so I can't give you much about that aspect.

$70 sounds like a good deal if everything is in good working order and hasn't been abused.  If you have any other questions, be sure to ask - there are a few Pro 1000 users here that can help. 

Be aware that there are a lot of anti-Lee posters here too, so you'll get to hear some bad about Lee.  In some cases, I wonder if they've actually owned and used the equipment they comment on since my experiences are so different  than theirs.  I personally own equipment from just about every current manufacturer out there, and have had good experiences with all of them, Lee included.  I've also been less than satisfied with some of the equipment I've had from several manufacturers, and Lee is no exception.  But I don't run down a company just because of a single problem or negative experience.  Do your research and make up your own mind.  Lee is a good economical choice for many reloaders, myself included.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline McDerry

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 09:31:35 PM »
The only problem I've ever had with mine was the primer station can be finicky. 

Offline dieselman

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 05:30:13 AM »
I have loaded 1000's of rounds on mine with no problems the primer tray needs to be kept with primers in it and make sure you seat them all the way. As long as you set it up right it will work just fine. I have loaded 9mm, 44spl, 44mag, 45acp, 308, 7.62x39, 38spl, 357mag no troubles. Good find.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 06:31:26 AM »
HAD ONE and it could not go out the door fast enought along with that RCBS piggy back.

I looked for a while and found a used Dillon SDB W/ 4 extra sets of dies for $125 then picked up a 550 W/lots of extras for $220 I bought the 550 last year.

I was looking on ebay yesterday and saw a SDB 45 cal W/some extra parts go for $228.

There are deals to be had right place right time but IMHO a pro 1000 will bring out the worst in people (language) :D
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline McDerry

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 06:03:57 AM »
I have loaded 1000's of rounds on mine with no problems the primer tray needs to be kept with primers in it and make sure you seat them all the way. As long as you set it up right it will work just fine. I have loaded 9mm, 44spl, 44mag, 45acp, 308, 7.62x39, 38spl, 357mag no troubles. Good find.

The .308 will fit?

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 09:36:26 AM »
The Lee 1000 will load ammo for you. It is a bit particular on its indexing. It doesnt have a lot of cam power so it fits best with smaller cases such as handgun, but you can do 7.62x39, and I guess .223s.   One of its deficiencies is the primer feed. The reservoir should have been teardrop shaped so primers press upon the trough.  This could be remedied with a couple of match sticks and glue. 
  The primer feed trough is flattened on its radius and loses force on the feeding when there are not many primers in the trough or reservoir.  If it was steeper in angle it would feed primers better.
  The powder dispenser hopper is lightly designed where it is attached by screws to the dispenser body. Strengthening the area that accepts the screw with epoxy will reinforce the hopper but wont prevent stripping from overtightening, so go gently.
   Given its price, especially bought used from people who didnt like it, it can be a value if you are patient and dont overpower it.