Author Topic: THIS IS WHERE I AM  (Read 800 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
THIS IS WHERE I AM
« on: March 05, 2011, 08:39:06 PM »
In search for another revolver you folks have been a help.
This is where I am at this point: I like the S&W model 22 in .45acp, it is DA/SA and i can get it in blue. The "N" frame is a known frame and I am comfortable with that.
If we are second guessing, are there others in another frame, other than a "J" frame that you might suggest?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline tallpaul

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: THIS IS WHERE I AM
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 01:32:31 AM »
it depends on what you want to do with your pistol...
Jesus Loves You.... right now just as you are.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 01:55:09 AM »
Shoot and carry.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline MePlat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 03:15:22 AM »
You probably don't care about anything I say because of the comment I made about band-aids on your Knuckle Busting thread but I have an S&W Jerry Mickhelic (sp) 45 ACP revolver and really, really like it.
I had years ago a 3 inch S&W in 45 ACP but got rid of it and regretted it.
Are you sure you want fixed sights as on the M22?
Of course you could always have a gunsmith regulate the sights if it is too far off windage wise.
I have carried my S&W Jerry M 45 acp too.
You Know Me.  I Don't Have a Clue

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 06:24:52 AM »
MP
Sure I care--don't worry bout hurting my feelings and me carrying a grudge.
That is certainly a consideration and not without a lot of consideration.
I will go thru this second guessing til I get something.
I will admit that there is something about the "n" frame square handles that I like.
The JM would not be a bad choice either.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 09:15:56 AM »
"don't worry bout hurting my feelings and me carrying a grudge".  OK, just so I know (lol).  And when you posted 'This is where I am', I was confused.  I thought you were in Texas.... 

Anyhow:  I know S&W made or remade their Model 1917 but that comes with a 5" bbl. which may be a tad long to stuff into one's belt, but it is a nice retro and is in 45 acp.  If said same wore a slim 4" barrel or a 3.5" it would make for a easy shootin' and nice carrying package and probably noticeably lighter in 45 than your own M28.  Which might lead me to suggest that if you happen to have a spare "N" frame hanging around you could always have a good shop convert it to 45, you know.. and with a package like that I would opt for a set of custom service panel size Esmerelda grips with a Tyler T-Grip adapter, and in 45, either acp or Colt, one could easily shoot a wheel-gun like that all day long.  Just a thought.  Good luck.

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 10:13:28 AM »
I like the S&W "N" frames thats all i purchase right now.  I like the beefier frames in the magnum calibers too.  Do they offer a 45 long colt thats a convertiable to shoot 45acp also?  I know that ruger offers that option in the blackhawk and i was wondering if S&W or anyone else offered it too.  Then we have a revolver that can do double duty.  I have been eyeing the S&W model 25 in 45 long colt. If i'm going to add another new caliber i'd rather have a few handguns in the same caliber then its worth doing. CZY

BTW;  Yup there is something about the N frames they feel better in our hands and there a tad heavier and stronger.

Offline Hit or Miss

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
I prefer S&W's in the K, L and J frame size for fittin' my stumpy fingers!  I have shot the 625 in .45 ACP some and liked the gun, just not the size of the N frame.  I think you'll enjoy one, if your hands are big enough.
Which lie got to you so that you refuse Him???

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 11:09:34 AM »
I am in Texas! I am in Texas?
It is so confusing at my age---mostly I am in a quandry which is somewhere in Ireland.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 02:05:54 PM »
I like the K frame in 357, although it is a bit on the heavy side, it carries well in a pancake holster.
The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 02:12:24 PM »
William, Have a mod. 21 in 44spec. Very accurate and a fine N-frame. Would like a mod. 22 myself. Either one would be a good carry. Hunman55

Offline Ak.Hiker

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 04:28:01 PM »
I have the Model 1955 in 45 acp. It has a 6.5 inch barrel. It is a great gun and I have had it for over 40 years. It will function with or without moon clips as well as shoot the Auto Rim loads. In Auto Rim a 250 grain hardcast at 950 is one of my favorites. One thing to consider is I have heard and perhaps others may know more on this subject but the newer S&W 45 acp revolvers are designed to be shot using moon clips. The older ones like mine will run with or without them. You may want to look around and find an older one on the used market.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 08:32:03 PM »
You know, I have not seen any ammo in AR in a while---course i don't look for it.
The ACP ammo is plentiful in a lot of flavors and is easy to reload for.
The LC is fairly scarce around here--not as scarce as AR.
The ACP, for my purpose, seems to be a good choice.
Older Smith's don't seem to be as plentiful, now that I am looking for one, as when I was not into revolvers. Is that Murphy's law at work?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD