Author Topic: Any Hoosier hunters using 458 socom?  (Read 1221 times)

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Any Hoosier hunters using 458 socom?
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:11:16 AM »
Howdy,

I just learned what many of you already know...that a 458 socom is legal rifle for Indiana deer!

Well I am considering a Rock River upper in this caliber and want some feedback on any others using it.

Thanks in advance,

Fred
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline Dinny

• Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Re: Any Hoosier hunters using 458 socom?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 12:48:34 PM »
I have thought long and hard about it, but never made the investment. It hits about as hard as a stout 45-70 load. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline schoolmaster

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 01:45:02 AM »
Check around brass seems to be hard to find and the reloading dies are more expensive than a regular caliber. I have heard tales of the AR being hard on the brass i.e. tearing off part of the rim. I was leaning toward the .458 socom then decided to go  with a bolt in .358 BFG because of better ballistics. If I wanted a .458 socom, I would build a Savage bolt action rather than the the AR. I haven't found an AR trigger yet that I like.

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 10:13:26 AM »
Well I ordered a Rock River upper. 

It will go on my Bushmaster lower from my Varmiter rifle.  It has a very nice two stage trigger.  It just seems like it will be a BLAST. 

Need recommendations for reloads and a new optic.  I was thinking around 300 grain bullets in a hollow point configuration.  The lighter the better for trajectory.  Scope will be 1-4 or 2-7 power. 

Most shots I make are in the woods, but every  now and then I get a clear shot in the field at about 200 yards.  If this rifle will do both it is great.  The 41 mag or 44 mag lever guns I currently have will not do 200 yards to my satisfaction. 
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline schoolmaster

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 02:13:50 PM »
I talked to a guy at a park hunt who showed me his 458 socom AR. He said he killed a deer with it at 256 yards. You just have to know your drops out at that range. There are some sites that have reloading data from members on them. Just search 458socomloaddata. I would use a Luepy with a B&C reticle.