Author Topic: hairs on my mold (flash)  (Read 450 times)

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
hairs on my mold (flash)
« on: February 13, 2011, 04:04:19 AM »
OK i get this flash  hairs on my bullets when i cast not all the time but a lot the mold half's are clean i stop brush off start to cast OK for a few shots then i get the hairs RCBS 245 gr swc melt temp is 730/750 i cant see light when i close mold ? mold is clean
thanks
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150

Offline mauserand9mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: hairs on my mold (flash)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 11:44:27 AM »
Definately not closing properly. Maybe try a small amount of Alox on the alignment pins in the face of the mold halves? Small dabs of lead will also prevent closing fully but this only happens if they weren't closed fully in the first place.

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 10:30:40 PM »
i have a bottom pour pot i was holding the mold right up tight to the spout once i left a gap hairs went away
and drive a F150

Offline .22-5-40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 05:42:34 PM »
Hello, luckydawg13.  I have seen those "hairs"...I call e'm whiskers, on some SAECO moulds.  I see your melt temp. is way up there.  Are you bottom-pouring, or dipper casting?  If using B.P., is nozzle in contact with sprue hole?  You could be "pressure casting" and while this certainly looks to be filling cavity..it can also trap air and cause voids.  I would try backing off heat..I usually cast around 600-650Deg. and see if that helps.  The fact that it doesn't happen all the time rules out lead deposits I think.

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 06:00:34 PM »
thanks i will back off on the heat my bullits look frosty yes I'm bottom pouring yes i was pressure casting first time using a BP heck this is my first time casting thank you for the help
jim
and drive a F150