Author Topic: Lead bullets in the new SS 45-70 UH  (Read 586 times)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Lead bullets in the new SS 45-70 UH
« on: February 04, 2011, 02:38:26 PM »
As a confirmed cast bullet shooter I can hardly bear to buy and shoot jacketed, and the traditional cartridges usually do well with lead. We have often heard how well the BC model does with lead, so I had to wonder, how about the std. 22" 'Handi' or the newish 24" UH. Fortunately I was able to acquire a very nice, slightly used UH model last week from a GBO member (aint this site great!). A quick scrub of the bore with Shooter's Choice to remove any copper fouling and a good dry out, then a few shots to feel it out and dial in the bore sighted scope and it is already showing great promise at the back 50yd. range. Everthing is going where Im looking without trouble; Im confident that it will be fine at longer range.
This rifle, with its 2" longer barrel suits me better than the shorter, though I know many of you favor the 'snub-nosed' rifles. It balances and has the muzzle heavy feel I prefer, yet is not so long, like the BC, that it is still rather fast handling (plus it will fit across the backseat of the car!). This one has different wood, not the thumbhole lam's it came with, which I didnt care for anyway. As is, I have my old set of MC cin.lam's on it which look just right with the SS. I had considered the Ruger NO.1 SS/lam.  in 45-70 but chose this instead. I think I will call it my H&R No.2?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: Lead bullets in the new SS 45-70 UH
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 02:51:13 PM »
Mr. grank1;

Loaded on the "hot" side the 405 Cast Performance GC bullets (H4198 or RL7) shoot very well out of my 22" 45/70 but cost more than the Rem 405 SPs?!?!?  I also had good luck with the CP 460 grainers in the same barrel but again more money.  If you are going to buy bullets I would get the Rem 405 SPs as they are priced fairly good and have excellent results (3/4 inch @ 100 yards - best 3 shot group).  Of course you could try casting some 405 HBs. ::)   Please post gun and range pics.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 03:16:15 PM »
Mr.BB,
Perhaps by 'paper target season' I will have learned enough of this new fangled high tech stuff to post pics. I think Im not doing too badly for a 'man out of his time', and Ive heard of a chap named 'Buck Rodgers' that is supposed to be something of a 'space cowboy', whatever that is. I must check into it..........
Another member sent me the old style LEE hand pounder die set, and another is sending the LEE 459-405HB bullet mould since those bullets you so graciously sent to try work so well. It is a tribute to the vision of GrayBeard that the networking of gents like us can actually happen.
If anyone has been hedging on which 45-70 to get, well, what other company gives you multiple affordable choices. Just pick the one that suits you and go for it!
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline yankeeapple

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 01:56:55 PM »
I also have a stainless 45-70. The first thing I did was sell the thumbhole stock on this site when I got home (just not my cup of tea) and replaced it with plastic for an all weather package.  I saw the pics of the one you bought on the swap board and loved the way the walnut looked. You said you now have a different set of wood on it, If you decide to sell the walnut furniture that came on it please email me.

I am planning to mount iron sights on mine soon. I have the sights its just a matter of finding the time.

Thanks, jim

Offline sabbatus

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 02:21:25 PM »
as far as cast in the 45/70 handi  my 22 inch just loves lee's 340 gr flat nose cast of wheel weights at about 1700-1750 fps.      gives me good accuracy, average 1.5 inch at 100.   and is a excellent deer and black bear bullet as well.   Usually like thor's hammer smacked the life out of them when hit.   I know everyone has their pet loads for the 45/70 handi,   and the handi does well with so many different cast bullets that its hard to pick a favorite.    thats just my hunting bullet

if you have interest in trying a few let me know   ill send them your way.    i also have a lyman 330 gr h.p.,  a lyman 490 gr tapered bullet designed by paul matthews for b.p., and a lyman 292 gr flat nose.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 04:48:51 AM »
Sabbatus, I have considered that Lee 340 and would like to try some! I will PM you, thanx!

Jim, I sure liked the way the rifle looked too, but I had other notions and that wood is on my 38-55 Target Model and likely to stay, though I dont fault you for pitching your hat in the ring  ;), you have good taste!
Ive considered putting the Williams open sight and ramp on, but it would require dropping the scope rail each time to use opens, just not a quick option set up, so Im probably going to stick with a low power, quick to use scope (currently my old El Paso Weaver 2.5 with the extra Elmer Keith 'ranging' crosswire, a neat scope).
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline Shu

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 05:28:49 AM »
Hold on you lost me at jacketed bullets in the 45-70 are there really such things? :D

I shoot 405 casts flat noses. I am not sure of the mold I traded 30 lbs of wheel weights for 20 lbs of bullets.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 10:12:19 AM »
Like the man said," Good trade"........(Dances With Wolves)
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 10:40:49 AM »
My BC shoots almost exclusively lead ammo.  I have some flat nose 405's, some round nose hollow base 405's, and some 330gr. hollow point all of which I cast.  All shoot well, but my most accurate is the hollow base 405's of #2 alloy, at about 1500fps.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)