Author Topic: Open carry of a hand gun.  (Read 758 times)

Offline RIchard J. Schneider

• Trade Count: (0)
Open carry of a hand gun.
« on: February 14, 2004, 02:00:02 PM »
Not so long ago I was out with a friend, we were in a public place when I noticed he was carrying a holstered handgun on his side, no coat or anything covering the gun. I informed him that he forgot to take off his gun. His reply was that you don'tt need a permit to carry open.
Either he just doesn't understand the law, is reading to deep into the meaning or I misunderstand the law. (By the way this is in Pa.)

Am I correct in the understanding of the law is that you need the Conceal Carry Permit to carry period. It is law that a CCP is needed unless you are going to the range, hunting, transporting to an FFL dealer or returning home after percase of a firearm.

Any help in clearing up the understanding of this will be much appricated. Thank in advance.

Offline DzrtRat

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 03:47:08 PM »
Don't know about Pa.  Never been there.

Here in Arizona your buddy would be right.  No permit needed to carry openly, and there are some who choose to carry that way.

I keep a valid ccw permit, but oft-times choose to carry openly myself.

Just depends on my mood, dress, and needs for the day.

~Rat

Offline John B.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 01:28:22 PM »
Never heard of a state issuing non conceal permits. What does the second ammendment of the United States of America Constitution say on that?

Offline MarkJ_Thompson

Depends on your local Government
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 02:38:21 PM »
It can get right down to City specific.

This is one of the best sites for these kinds of questions.

http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/pennsylvania

ATF Publication 5300.5 has State laws and Municipal Laws

I prefer no one to know I have a pistol that is why I conceal it. It gives you an edge in a bad situation. Sometimes when you obtain a concealed pistol permitt you give up your rights to carry openly. So be aware of your rights...and stay out of trouble