Author Topic: New to site & Superlight .223 purchase  (Read 786 times)

Offline forgvn

• Trade Count: (0)
New to site & Superlight .223 purchase
« on: February 08, 2011, 04:10:10 AM »
Good day.

I'm brand new to the site as of this morning.

It's always fun to find a new site (to me) that's packed with good info.
The bonus is chatting with others that have the first-hand experience that I don't.

"Theory" is fine......I have way too many of them zipping around my brain though.
Like the bumper sticker says....."Believe only half of what you think".
Bottom line.......there is no substitute for experience.....first hand, that is.

So, onto my first question for the group.
I'm considering a Superlight in .223.

Purpose:  95% of the time just hiking with me and, on occasion, plunking a coyote that I have called up. I would like to shorten the barrel to 18" to loose the front sight and make even handier.

Question:   Anyone experience any nasty things on a shortened .223 barrel? ???

Thanks for your time.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: New to site & Superlight .223 purchase
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 05:26:30 AM »
Welcome! Can't really help specifically with the short 223 barrel question, but I have an 18" 38-55 that works just fine, I doubt you'll notice any difference with the 18" 223 vs the 20" barrel tho. I do have three 20" barreled Superlights tho, 243Win, 260Rem and the most importantly the 6x45 that members here generously bought and had custom rebored for me, they're certainly a joy to carry and fun to shoot.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 05:40:20 AM »
Welcome aboard buddy. Shorties are fun and convienent to carry, especially in this compact single shot configuration. I have a 20" .223 and believe you will lose nothing but gain some "handyness" by shortening it. I do have a short barreled .280 and it is just as good now and as accurate when it was longer.
Come often and stay late, you are always welcome, and when your here, your among friends.

P.S. - Quick, when you said:
"that members here generously bought and had custom rebored for me, they're certainly a joy to carry and fun to shoot",

you weren't saying that it's a joy to carry and fun to shoot the members were you? ;) ;) ;D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 05:42:11 AM »
No members have been carried or shot during this presentation!  8) ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 02:34:05 PM »
Way to go Tim .......... Insert foot in mouth and get it out Quickly ;D ;D ;D
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 03:35:23 PM »
My short barrel, short stock rifle in 45-70 is super easy to carry and fits in the box on the front of my ATV.  With light loads it's easy to shoot but heavy loads are punishing on the recoil.  Barrel is just over 16", magnaported and over all length is 1/2" over legal minimum.  I've been checked just once by a Game Officer with a tape measure but been ask about it several times.  The stock is plastic and has been lightened as much as practical.

I see no reason the 223 would not work well with the 18" barrel.  As long as it's properly set up and crowned the only thing you'll loose is velocity.  You'll gain in quick target acquisition and a bunch of muzzle blast.

The difference between the 16" barrel and the BC long tube with 405 grain slugs is around 300 FPS and some accuracy due to the shorter sight radius since I use iron sights.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline Flynmoose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 05:33:10 PM »
i recently had my 223 Handi barrel shortened to 16 1/2". I have not
had a chance to shoot it yet as the range is still a duck pond. It is
very handy to carry now and will fit in a tool box without removing
the scope. All these guys on this site drove me to it, talking about
their shortys.
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 07:27:38 PM »
Welcome forgvn. Beware, there are a bunch of enablers, pushers, and afflicted folks that will try and suck you right into the world of Handis, and before long you will suffer Handiholicism, just like the rest of us. We have no 10 step program, so once you are in deep, you can't get out. Enjoy, it is one of life's wonderful afflictions.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 08:18:25 AM »
Yes we do have a 10 Step Program,
keep acquiring until you have 10, then get some more  ;D.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline forgvn

Do it....cut it back all the way!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 02:49:59 PM »
All this talk about "shortys" and NOW I'm leaning hard towards cutting the barrel to 16.5". 

I have to chuckle to myself at all the sneering & geering I have received in the past when I mentioned I wanted a short & light rifle.  For me it's not just ballistics.  It's about the feel.  It's about the "niftyness" factor.

I hear much about long barrels, ballistics and blah, blah, blah.....then I take a look at the rifles some folks have been raving about and my first thought is ugghh, what a club.   Speaking for myself, I tend to leave my perfect Browning A-Bolt 300 win mag at home cause it is not at "nifty" as it's light-short little brother A-Bolt 7mm-08. 

Took a hike in the Mt. Hood sunshine with my wife for 39 years this afternoon.  She agreed with me when I said I need to get out and hump those hills more........(with my new superlight buddy, I was thinking) ;)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 04:13:03 PM »
Yeah, my wife, 13yr. old Husky and I took a walk in the sunshine today too; 4DegF, enough snow that if we stepped off the previous s-shoe track we made that its knee deep. Still, it was glorious to be out and still doin' it.....do it as long as you can, you never know when its all over (4 HA & still livin') ;D.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline rockshooter

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 05:48:50 PM »
I have a .223 Handi (older heavy bbl) that is 16.25 inches. I put it in Buffalo Classic furniture. It makes a very handy rifle to carry but it is a loud little thing. As with all firearms, hearing protection is advised.
Loren

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 01:24:43 PM »
forgvn, I think a shortened Superlight would be a good hiker companion. I would go with the 16" plus model. I loaded some Barnes X bullets for a daughter of my buddy and that little .223 Superlight rifle is deer capable with that round.