Author Topic: Cast HP hardness  (Read 503 times)

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Cast HP hardness
« on: February 09, 2011, 03:26:37 AM »
I am new to casting bullets. I have a friend that casts for me on half for all the wheel weights I send. I am loadinf for a 45 colt Blackhawk. I am using a 4 5/8 inch blackhawk. The bullets run air dried 8 to 10 and water cooled 15 to 18. What would be a better hardness in the 270 gr, SAA  RCBS  penta point and HP bullet. The weights run about 270 gr. in penta point and about 275 gr. in the HP. I would like to find a load about 900 to 1000 FPS. The pouder I will use is WW 571. I know it is an obsoleter powder but I have almost 4 LBS. HELP!! Ineed a load and some advise!!!

Zacharoo

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Cast HP hardness
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 08:27:40 AM »
With the low velocities you're running I don't see why the softer bullet wouldn't work.  Since low velocities are a result of low pressure a hard bullet might no obturate properly and allow gasses to leak past, reulting in leading.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 09:20:28 AM »
 I agree with GH1 about the softer alloy being better for the speeds you are running. I use an alloy that is about 10/11 bhn in the .44 mag and run a bit faster than 1100 fps. I have HEARD ww571 and HS-7 are identical powders but I have never used either of them so be carefull. Also be CERTAIN the powder is still good. A few dollars saved on old powder CAN cost a new gun!! Fingers don't grow back either!

Offline res45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 02:03:47 PM »
I read quiet a few post that state HS-7 is the same as WW-571,Hodgdon had done this quiet often with many powders they sell under there brand name especially since Hodgdon,IMR and Winchester  powders are all under one roof now.

Don't take my word for it though contact Hodgdon and they will be quiet helpful.  I pick the 8 to 10 BHN alloy for HP bullets 11 or 12 will work also depending on how fast you push them.  I like the softer alloy myself to make them less brittle and less likely to fragment,old Elmer Keith's favorite was 16-1 Lead/Tin in his 44 Mag. HP's

Here is a good article on Cast Hp bullets.
http://www.lasc.us/FryxellExpansionOfCastHP.htm
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 11:44:13 PM »
for under a 1000 fps ww mixed 5050 with pure and air cooled is a good alloy for hps. 1000-1200 straight air cooled ww works fine.
blue lives matter