Author Topic: Variable to Fixed  (Read 419 times)

Offline jlgwiz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Variable to Fixed
« on: February 06, 2011, 05:29:36 PM »
I have a situation and I want some help/comments  with a possible solution.  I have a Simmons Aetec 4-14x44 SF (okay I now know about Simmons but I wanted  a side focus).  I bought it new for $89 and I like the scope on my bolt 223.  Problem is the power ring has a problem and it is a real pain to change power,  ring slips.  Of course I can not find the receipt (I know if it was a Leupold etc etc)  for this scope,  every other one yes but not this one,  so sending it back is not an option.  So, unless I can figure out how to fix it myself, I have decided to set it on one power and use it as a fixed power.  Now what power to use?  As of now all I use it for is to shoot paper at 100 -150 yds but I am planning to try predator hunting.  My initial though is  set it to  10x.  What power would you set it to?

jlgwiz

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: Variable to Fixed
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 05:46:33 PM »
I'd call simons and see what they might do for you. It don't hurt to ask, nicely. If they say tough luck then you haven't lost anything but the phone call.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Doe

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 06:04:41 PM »
If i were going to set at a fix position it would be 4X and leave it there, but then again like the other guy said call and see what they can do for you good luck!  8)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:44:47 PM »
id just box it up and put it in the mail to them. Worse case senerio they will send it back if they want money to repair it and you dont want too but id bet theyd fix or replace it. For what your doing though id set it on 6x
blue lives matter

Offline jlgwiz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 05:14:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Just curious as to what power others would set it to.  Maybe I will just go ahead and send it back, as I really do like the scope and I got it at a little over  half price to begin with,  so some more invested ( to a point) is not a terrible thing. 

jlgwiz