Author Topic: nikon monarch  (Read 683 times)

Offline pjeffreys

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
nikon monarch
« on: February 09, 2011, 07:02:26 AM »
does any one have a nikon monarch? i have a 257 weatherby mag and i'm trying to figure out what scope i want to put on it. i hear these are good and affordable. i was pondering the 5 x 20x 44 model. let me know what y'all would put on it.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: nikon monarch
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 11:04:15 AM »
i just bought one used off the the classifieds here. It wasnt in as good of shape as i thought and it was missing the rubber ring on the focus. I sent it into nikon as they wouldnt sell me that little piece of rubber. I wasnt to pleased to have to pay shipping but just got it back and they sent me a brand new 2x10x42 monarch for free! Its allready on my 257 weatherby. Seems like a real nice scope. Im not much on the cheaper nikons but there higher end stuff is good equiptment and there warantee can be taken to the bank. Last year i sent in my monarch binoculars that were over 10 years old because then wouldnt focus right at long range. Again they sent me a brand new pair for free and again they were the updated ones that were even  better. Cant beat that for a company standing behind its product. took off a 4x12 redfield revolution that i wasnt to happy with. The ajustments dont track accurately. One click may give you a 1/4 inch and the next a full inch. Its boxed up to send back. I hope leupold takes care of me like nikon did. just make sure if you go over 10x that you get a scope with an ajustable objective or side focus as not many scopes stay clear at that level unless you can refocus them.
blue lives matter

Offline billyjack

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 12:33:02 PM »
I have one on my model 70 in 270, it is 2.5x10x42 and i love it .The clearest scope i have ever owned.

Offline pjeffreys

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 03:30:21 AM »
thanks for the feedback. i think i'm sold on the monarch 5x20x44.

Offline hotrunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 05:50:05 PM »
I have that 5-20X44 Monarch. Love it. Bought it with the intention of "moving up" to a Leupold for my Cooper 21V later, but really don't see the need. Plan now is to replace all my varmint/long range rifles' scopes with Monarchs. The 1/8" adjustments, extra set of target turrets/knobs, flip-up lense covers and sunshade that are included sweeten the deal. Would like to see more reticle choices, however.

Offline pjeffreys

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 08:14:26 AM »
hotrunner, i would too. they need to offer a fine reticle in this scope. that is one reason i bought a leupold a few years back and not a nikon.