Author Topic: Could have been bad  (Read 747 times)

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Could have been bad
« on: March 02, 2011, 03:06:44 AM »
Last week we had a few nice days. So I set the Dutch oven up over the propane Turkey fryer. I have a 5gallon bucket of range Lead, Its been setting for a couple years, and thought it was time to turn it into ingots.
Well I took a scoop and loaded the pot up. This stuff was dry, I was in the processes of getting everything ready, and I heard a loud bang. The only thing I found that may have caused the bang was a 380 case, I am thinking someone had a miss fire and threw the loaded round against the back berm, and it ended up in the Range lead bucket.
First time in 40 years I have had anything like this happen. But I will be double checking what goes in the Dutch oven from here on out.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
Re: Could have been bad
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:38:38 AM »
Similar experience here, but it was moist lead.
I thought it was well dried, but after further investigation I found some that were damp/wet.
Big splash of hot lead all over the side of the house.
Momma wasn't happy. ::)

I take extra care these days to avoid that...... :P
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 08:47:28 AM »
burned a bunck of empty shotgun hulls once . guess a couple 22's found their way in the barrel  ::)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 09:16:25 AM »
It gets your attention real fast. The first thing I thought when it went off was water in the mix, so I checked the bucket first; it was bone dry.
That’s when I started checking and found the hot 380 case a couple feet from the pot. I gave that pot full a lot of room till it was liquid. I looked over the rest of the range lead before the next pot, and that was the only one.
Good lesson in getting to complacent.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 09:23:09 AM »
if you have a laddle put lead in it and float it on hot lead to let moisture steam off if your ste up will allow.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 04:22:22 AM »
I always put scrap lead in a cold pot, then as the pot heats any water will evaporate long before the lead becomes liquid. Live primers or live rounds are another matter and visual inspection is the solution there.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 05:58:43 AM »
When working with lead we would go thru. as much 200lbs or more  a day so cutting off the pot was not an option .