Author Topic: Snow/Predators  (Read 936 times)

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
Snow/Predators
« on: February 05, 2011, 04:03:18 AM »
Has anyone been out for coyote or fox since we've had all this snow? What effect if any does it have on their approach. What changes in set up are needed. Will they come in differently? My dogs are falling through and having a hard time walking in it. If hunger is driving them I guess they will get the plows out and get through. I'd think they would hunt heavier cover. My Beagle heard something in the snow and started digging. I bet it's harder for yotes to mouse in the deeper snow. I've been working in Ohio and have been seeing an unbelievable amount of rabbit tracks in the ditches and narley scrub bushes/trees. I know I'd have a harder time walking to a stand. Snowshoes in Indiana? Should be out there now :-\ Pretty nice in HERE with my new Eden Pure heater ;D

Offline korkskru

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Snow/Predators
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 06:02:48 PM »
i started hunting with some guys that use dogs.  we also got like 6-10 inches of freezing sleet here during the big blizzard, wich just crusted over real bad.  i know last weekend it was really nice to find tracks and then just turn dogs out on them.  then we got this crusty stuff, and i about hit a yote with my truck almost at the end of my driveway, and he ran over that stuff like it was asphalt.  he didnt leave a track or even fall thru any.  but for calling i havent had any luck at all, callin in the snow, day or night.  dont know, how to figure it.  i tell ya though if you have never hunted coyotes with dogs, you need to do it at least once.  it can get exciting really quick.
recession is when your neighbor loses his job, depression is when you lose your job, a recovery is when obama loses his!

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 04:00:05 AM »
i was out checking traps and noticed that the yotes are now starting to run on the trails.i have called some with no luck but that was before i seen that all of the new tracks are on the trails. i will be out calling monday morning i will be setting up as i expect them to come in on one of the heavy trails but i am no expert at calling. but i do think that every time i do not go out.  they are out there and when i do go out i do not see any. for me it seems to be a crap shoot. i do know that if im not there i will not see one.  they still gotta eat and in the cold they gotta eat more..good luck
  rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline Qualitymilk

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 04:21:36 AM »
Not sure if it will work, but I have made some "trails" along the thick stuff and low ravines with my snowmobile to try and get the 'yotes to follow these paths of least resistance.  I went out last Wed. and Thurs. after the big snow (over 18" here) but I saw nothing but deer and squirrel tracks.  Haven't had any luck calling yet this winter, but it's early yet and the snow and cold should help us in our predator quest.  ;D

Offline dieselman

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 03:29:21 PM »
I  went out last sat afternoon 4:30's got to one of my fav spots around 5ish and while lookin for a nice "soft" spot to sit and across to creek there were two yotes with there noses to the ground lookin for (squeekers I guess) one stops about 60yds out. The other (out of sight) yeps and the one turns and I didn't want it to bolt so I popped off a shot (hi-point 9mm rifle open sights) I missed the first shot and he stopped again @ 80yds and I make another shot and hit him, I tracked his blood trail for almost a mile and a half before it gets dark and I give up but, that whole time I didn't see another coyote track. Well on the way back I did see other tracks and they were up high on the ridges and a few down in the bottoms all through the down tree tops and thick brush not in the open at all. We didn't get much snow though only 2-3" on the ground with a crust of ice in there as well.   

Offline Swift One

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 03:12:08 AM »
We get alot of snow sleds crossing our properties.  The coyotes just use the trails they make.  In non-traveled areas, I would give the dogs a little longer to show up.  They need to make their way through the deep snow.  If they are hungry or think that another dog has invaded their territory, they will respond......
It's all a hot mess...........