Author Topic: Some Credit Due  (Read 456 times)

Offline BrushBuster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Some Credit Due
« on: January 01, 2004, 05:55:06 AM »
I just want to take a moment of your time to give some due credit.

I began a search on this forum several months ago to try to locate a cast bullet for my .348 Winchester. I had no previous knowledge of cast bullets, I only knew that I wanted a hunting bullet in the 250 grain range suitable for Moose and Grizzly. With the patience and expertise of many individuals on this forum I was able to quickly begin to understand the basics of what I should be looking for and what was involved in cast bullet fitting and design. I wanted a bullet with knock-down capability and a Brinnel hardness that would stand up to a velocity level of 2300 fps. and provide good penetration. The bullet I chose, was a bore-ride design gas-checked and sized to match my bore diameter.  

At a very early stage of my learning process I contacted Wayne Doudna of CUSTOM CAST BULLETS and explained my requirements. With his assistance, I made a choice of available designs. In hindsight, I was a little premature in making a selection, but with Wayne's help and professional suggestions and some luck, I made a good decision.

Wayne has sent me a bullet that exceeds my expectations! Accuracy is excellent, and after determining the optimum load, I am shooting better than I ever did with any jacketed bullet. Wayne's casting is excellent with weight variation between bullets only measureable in 10th's of a grain. I experience zero leading, and have fired dozens of rounds before examining the bore, only to find a few dark granules that I can blow out.

Lever action rifles have their own particular problems, and chambering smoothly is critical. This was one of my major concern, and here again the design was flawless!

I guess my experience is not what bullet casting is really about, but I am one happy hunter. For those that have difficult calibres to obtain ammo. for, and only shoot a limited number of rounds per year while hunting, it's good to know that there are professional bullet casters out there like Wayne Doudna. I don't have to rush into casting my own, and look forward to hunting season when I can report back on performance.  

Thanks for all the help.
Struggling every day, to hold onto what I took for granted yesterday.