Author Topic: It ain't a wildcat, but ...  (Read 849 times)

Offline unspellable

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
It ain't a wildcat, but ...
« on: March 05, 2004, 07:49:36 AM »
I have a rifle that's not a wild cat but it might as well be because I cannot find any loading data for it.  So how do I come up with loading data?  It's chambered for the 400-360 2-3/4 Nitro Purdey version.  Everything you can find in print about this cartridge is wrong!  probably because there are five different 400-360 cartridges, all non-interchangable.  Books list rim thickness from one, base diameter from another, etc. all as one cartridge.  So any way, I have things more or less sorted out as far as diminsions go.  At present I am using 9.3 x 74R brass with the rim shaved, the neck trimmed back, and run through the sizing die.  Bertram has allegedly started making brass for this cartrdige so eventually I will send off for some.

This cartridge was originally loaded with a round nosed 300 grain bullet of 0.367 inch diameter.  the nearest I have come up with is a 285 grain 9.3 mm bullet that is 0.366 inch in diameter.  The 300 grain bullet was pushed by 40 grains of cordite to 1950 fps according to published data from Kynoch et al.

So where do I start for a powder charge?  This is a double rifle so changes in bullet weight, powder charge, velocity, etc. can throw it off.

I think it calls for a relatively slow powder that will burn smoothly at fairly low pressure.  It's a big case.  For a given pressure and velocity slower powder means more powder which may tend to offset the light bullet as far as regulation is concerned.

Offline Yukon Jack

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 09:04:49 AM »
Is this the same as the 360 No.2 Nitro Express or 369 Purdey???

If the same as either of those two, Kynoch still makes factory loads for it.  http://freespace.virgin.net/kynoch.ammunition/cartridge%20range.htm

If not, you might send a letter or email to Purdey or Kynoch for information.  Might also contact Ross Seyfried at Rifle & Handloader magazines.  I'm sure he can help you and I bet he would like to run your letter in the Q&A section of the magazine.

You might also pose this question at http://forums.nitroexpress.com/ubbthreads.php?Cat=  there's a bunch of double rifle guys there that shoot the old British guns.

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
400-360
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 09:58:55 AM »
No, the 360 #2 and the 369 are different animals.  Kynoch also sells the 400-360 but the price is discouraging to say the least.  Kynoch loads a 285 grain bullet these dyas also.  When you change bullets like this you often have to tinker with the powder charge a bit to get both barrels shooting together.

Thanks for the website, I'll look it up.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 09:44:50 AM »
I believe I remember that it is Ross Seyfried that is all the time working with these weird or off the wall kinda rounds. He has worked out some kinda formula for using RL15 to replace the cordite loads but I don't recall the percentage of which to which. His articles on these kinda rounds are in Rifle and Handloader Magazine.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 08:38:05 AM »
I would also recommend trying to contact Ross Seyfried about this as he has done a lot of work with this type cartridge. In the April 2003 issue of Handloader magazine in a question about loading the 450 NE he gives the formula he uses. I don't know if he always uses the same formula for all Nitro cartridges or not. I think that he does but am not sure. I will give the formula used in the magazine after first saying that I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE IN CARTRIDGES THAT WERE MADE FOR CORDITE AND THEREFORE EXCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE USE OF THIS FORMULA. That understood he gives the formula of "a charge of Alliant Reloader 15 at 1.19 times the cordite load". This was with the same weight bullet as the cordite load.
I would still suggest speaking to Ross about this before trying it.
I hope this is of some help. Be careful and good luck.
BruceP
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.