Author Topic: 6 pounder field gun  (Read 1716 times)

Offline freddo

• Trade Count: (0)
6 pounder field gun
« on: August 29, 2006, 01:55:49 AM »
I have two barrels  for the 6 pounder field gun.I have just about finished a field carriage for one of them and I am wondering what to mount the other one on.Any suggestions other than a Naval typer carriage?

Offline Artilleryman

Re: 6 pounder field gun
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 06:02:51 AM »
What model six pounder?  Full or subscale?  What model carriage did you make?  How authentic do you want to be?
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline freddo

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 02:46:16 AM »
Artilleryman. They are the 1841 model I made a carriage based on the No 1 field carriage I am not particularly interested with  in absolute historical correctness The scale is about 1/5 scale.Since I intend to shoot it I was not happy about the strength of the metalwork on the carriage when scaled down to this size so I beefed it all up a bit I'm happy with the way it looks.
 I would like to put the other barrel on a carriage but I could'nt cope with another field carriage right now there is too much work involved [Funny Now that I have it all figured out I'm too exausted to make another By the time I am ready to make another and get it right I will have forgotten half of what I learned ]
 The easiest would be a naval carriage but I find them to be not much of a challenge.Perhaps a Barbette mounting or a casemate mounting but the barrel is just not right Thats why I'm looking for suggestions.Maybe some unconventional usage during the War Between the States or were these six pounders not considered worth the effort to adapt them?

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 04:36:27 PM »

Freddo, the M 1841 6 pounder was the primary field gun used in the Mexican American War. By the time of the Civil War the gun was already outmoded. The Union abandoned them entirely in the early stages of the war. The CSA used them throughout the war out of necessity, they had to use whatever they could get their hands on. I may be wrong, but as far as I know the only accurate carriage for it would be a field carriage. I know a lot of people mount the scale replicas on naval carriages. In reality, wouldn't the gun have been too underpowered to be used as a naval cannon at the time of the Civil War?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 05:53:55 AM »
The OP Freddo passed away last year.  I just was given thes pictures of his 6 PDR project and tough I would post them.

Here are some of Freddo's other guns. 

The  Breech loader is a live gun and shots.310 cadet cartridges.

I have no other details on these guns

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 06:40:30 AM »
Very sorry to hear of his passing, obviously a masterful builder. No wonder he felt that a naval carriage was unchallenging!  That little breechloader deck gun is wonderful, wish it was mine.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 06:57:49 AM »
R.I.P. Freddo.          Such beautiful work!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 02:39:31 AM »
Sad news. DD probably already knows this, but for some of us (like me) this may serve as an inspiration; because "freddo" was an architect, and didn't take any machining courses until he had retired from his career.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.