Author Topic: Variable scopes-What power setting do you use while hunting?  (Read 990 times)

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
Variable scopes-What power setting do you use while hunting?
« on: February 04, 2011, 09:04:20 PM »
My scope line up is fairly simple. Four Leupys 1-4 and 1.5-5 all 20mm and two Redfield Revolutions 2-7x33mm's.  I have a few others as well, Tasco 1.75-5x20, Bushnell 1.5-4.5x21mm and a 1-3x20mm Weaver.

I find myself hunting on the lowest power and use the highest power when sighting in. Nice to have the higher end for bench work, but a compact set of binoculars make up viewing of my stand sight area when hunting.

Around here it is nice to have that low power number if hunting during a snowfall, as the low power keeps those snowflakes from becoming too magnified.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Variable scopes-What power setting do you use while hunting?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 12:22:28 AM »
I have a number of the same scopes as you. Mostly I prefer the 2x7 scope. 3x9's are very popular in most places.

As a rule, I use the lowest power setting available.

Here in the east, shots are relatively close. 150 yards is quite a poke. So lower powered scopes are all that's needed. Under these conditions a very close shot is quite frequent and having a scope even up on 4X may cause a missed shot for the small field of view it affords.
My thinking is if you do have a longer shot, you also usually have a bit more time. Time to turn up the power and get a good rest for the shot. But bump a big buck from its bed at say ten yards. With the scope on say 7 or 9X and see how well that goes...  :o ::)
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 12:34:10 AM »
With my 2 - 7s or 3 -9s I keep them on the lowest power until I may need some more Xs and have the time to fiddle. With my low power scopes, I usually set them at about 2 or 2.5. The field of view isn't all that much different, but on the very lowest settings, when I throw the gun up, seeing all that barrel distracts me.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 04:33:47 AM »
 :o Even when I hunt the timber, most of the time I keep my scope at the highest setting..I seldom if ever shoot at running game, and the high power permits me to pick a clear hole to shoot though..HOWEVER, I usually handle my rifles EVERYDAY and I am used to picking up game in the narrow field of view..I would say this method is NOT the best for most guys who hunt..It requires daily use of rifles with scopes at high power... ;)

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 04:38:03 AM »
If Im walking my scope is on 2 power. If Im in my stand it goes to 4 power.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 04:45:15 AM »
  With my several scopes I keep them low 2X-4X  while hunting.  If I need the far away shot, normally there is plenty of time to screw it up a bit..  I only shoot a running game (e.g. woodchucks) when I am absolutely sure of the backdrop...but even then a wider view is easier to follow running game with.
  For deer in my eastern, mountainous woodland setting, my deer rifles only carry scopes between 1.5X to 4X.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 06:47:57 AM »
I've got a 2x8 and a 3x9 and usually set them on 4x.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline tuck2

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 11:02:38 PM »
My hunting is in wide open country so my variable power scopes on the big game bolt action  rifles are set at the max of  8, 9, and 12 power while the scopes on the bolt action  varmint rifles are at 14, 16  and 18 X.  I did set up a Browning BAR 30-06 with a Leo 1-4 X scope for hunting elk in the dark timber which is set at 1 X. 

Offline chefjeff

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 05:38:31 AM »
I know this is contrary to popular opinion,but mostly,my deer scopes are left at about 5X most of the time. Turned up or down as time and need allows. Most of the time, shots taken at 5-6X without moving. It seems for me,using a lower power setting is like looking at a smaller image of the target.I know,FOV and light gathering are better at low power. If your eye relief and focus are near perfect and you have good glass, You can get away with using a higher power.I have been doing this for years and cannot say it has hurt my success.

Offline one eye joe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 06:54:11 AM »
I'm with chefjeff - keep my scope in the 4-6 range. I have shot animals at under 10 yards and over 300. Only once, on a long shot, did I change scope power. Realistically, I should probably buy fixed power scopes. Just enjoy the extra power for bench work.

Offline crawford769

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 08:38:10 AM »
on the lowest power setting for me, even with my 1-3x.  it used to bother me to see the barrel in the scope but now i like it.    almost all of my deer hunting is in the woods shooting at running deer.   even on a stand shooting 300 yds a 2-7 provides plenty of power for shooting deer.     varminting is another story of course.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 08:50:10 AM »
Thick woods and small fields of the south. Stays on lowest power. If I see something further away it goes to a higher power. Just like the others, easier to dial it up with time than to have then jump up close and just see a scope full of hair with them standing there looking at you.
Molon labe