Author Topic: Buying first contender  (Read 695 times)

Offline HenryHammer

• Trade Count: (11)
Buying first contender
« on: March 08, 2011, 10:32:29 AM »
I am going to be purchasing my first contender setup and I am looking for some advice. I already have an encore PH with a .270, .30TC and a 209x50. I want to get a pistol setup and have decided on the contender frame for that. So a couple questions for y'all. Should I look for a G2 setup only or consider an older model? Also what is a reasonable price range for a frame and grips with or without any barrels? I have my eyes on a G2 right now with a scoped .223 barrel and walnut, also with .357 with walnut grips and forearm, but the price is at $699. Thanks for any help..Henry
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Buying first contender
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:43:46 AM »
Frames seem to run between $300 and $400 for used ones.  I just saw an older frame that looked like new with a 30 Herret 10" barrel with sights and Packmyar all around for $345 at a local gun shop.

It depends on what kind of scope is on that G2. If it is a Leupold or Burris or Weaver then that seems to be a good deal. What length barrels do they have also and does the 357 have a scope?

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:01:51 PM »
The last frame I bought was $250. It did not include wood.  Do some shopping.  Many barrels go for around 175$, give or take some.  If you are going into a .223 you will want a good scope.  If you shoot a lot you know you'll want a good scope just to do the load development.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 12:38:43 PM »
I prefer the older Contender frames.  By all means shop and then call Ed's Contenders.

Offline wvjoetc

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 05:11:19 PM »
I like the older style frame, one in the classifieds just sold for 235.00.   I bought one a couple of months ago out of the classifieds for 260.00, you have to be quick they don't last long.

Joe
TC Renegade 50 cal
CVA Bobcat  50 cal
"Here Pilgram skin this'n an I'll get you another"

Offline stubshaft

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
  • ROA's Rule
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 06:20:42 PM »
I prefer the older frames myself.  I have a couple of Encores and the triggers (same as the G2) are not as clean as my old Tenders.
If I agreed with you then we would both be wrong.

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 11:39:36 PM »
I have some of each and like them all.  My G2 triggers are every bit as good as the triggers in my originals, and they open much easier.  They are all Contenders: whats not to like?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline HenryHammer

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 04:27:46 AM »
Thank You all for the replies, I appreciate the advice. I will keep shopping and see what I can find. There is a gun show coming up that I will be going to also, so I am going to be checking there. Thanks again..Henry
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline Ranger413

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 02:14:49 AM »
A number of years ago I bought a Contender with a 10" 22 l.r. barrel.  It out shot many of my rifles.  I traded it off a year or two later as I wasn't using it enough and needed trade bait.

Just recently I bought a G2 with a .44 mag barrel.  I put a stock set and 22 l.r. 23" barrel on it for my son.  I've also accumulated a 14" .223 barrel and 14" .22 l.r. barrel.  Now, my second G2 frame is due to be delivered to my dealer today.  This one will stay in handgun format. 

Personally, I think the older style frames are fine.  I had one of the more recent productions that was easy open.  I think they are lighter in weight than the new G2s and a bit more streamlined.  The real benefit in my opinion is being able to let the hammer down and not have to break the action to re-set.  I can see this being needed in the field.  But, as long as you understand the process and practice than it is probably a non-issue. 

I went with the G2 frame because I wanted the option of adding a muzzleloader barrel for my son.  I've got an Encore with the 209X50 barrel and would like to have that same option for my son.
Life is like a dogsled team, if you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.