Author Topic: Plans for Bowling Ball Mortar?  (Read 5199 times)

Offline kfouts2

• Trade Count: (0)
Plans for Bowling Ball Mortar?
« on: August 18, 2006, 03:02:13 PM »
I would like to enter the 3rd Annual Bowling Ball Mortar competition in Indiana.  Anyone have any plans or instructions?   Thanks.

Ken

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Plans for Bowling Ball Mortar?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 04:04:58 PM »
What kind of machining facilities/capabilities do you have?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 06:15:26 PM »
The folks in Indiana are shooting Stokes style bowling ball mortars.  They also have one 60 MM mortar that is papered by ATF. Rules of our board don't allow for discussion on the Stokes

Might be interesting to show up there with a pre 1899 replica. So guys help Ken come up with a design for a bowling ball mortar the meets the Antique rule.  He will be the king of the meet!!

Hey PowderKeg, I know you have one, tell us how it was made, what did you use for a tube, etc.?

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 07:26:22 PM »
This is all I have. Don't know if it will help.

I found it in a thread somewhere on this forum.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 07:29:16 PM »
Well that came out crappy. If you want a better copy email me at rlachance@wavecable.com
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Double D

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 09:33:19 PM »
Here is another version of the same thing

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 11:19:26 PM »
I am real uncomfortable with the flat plate bottom.  Assuming only 1000 psi chamber pressure, it will develop over 60,000 pounds force.  The weld should be sufficient but the plate will have a tendency to bend which will try to stretch the weld and eventually cause a failure.  There was a fatal "cannon" accident reported where a flat breech plate welded to the back of the barrel blew off and hit the deceased.  The plate needs to be thick enough to prevent significant bending under chamber pressure.

The long barrel makes this more of a flank howitzer than a mortar.  Mortar barrels (at least Civil War era mortars) are usually only about two calibers (bore diameters) in length.  The one advantage of using this design in a Stokes configuration is that the back plate wouldn't go very far if it detached (it would still be more exciting than necessary.)

See the drawing below for a M1861-style BB mortar.  A real M1861 8 inch is 16" in overall diameter so this one would seem a little thin looking, but the resulting underweight would be nice.  Estimated weight 350 lbs.

Just in case it isn't obvious, this design uses a piece of seamless tubing bored 8.65" to a shoulder, and a solid breech plug (inserted from the muzzle) with a matching shoulder containing the powder chamber.  They should be press fit together, then welded at the rear (they could also be TIG welded at the front to prevent corrosion from getting in that joint.)  The vent should be drilled in a piece of all thread and screwed in to provide a passage through continuous metal to prevent any corrosion or lingering sparks at the joint between the tube and plug.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 12:01:00 AM »
George,

I have to agree with you whole heartedly, I don't like the design of this breech either. I would change it it.

First I would make the powder cup differently.  I would  make a Gomer Chamber. I would make the chamber out of 6 inch diameter solid round stock 7 1/2 inches long.  The chamber would be  2 inches wide by  1 1/2 in deep by  1 1/2 wide at the bottom. Weld this cup to the 1 inch thick  breech plate.

Instead of a breech plate I would make a breech plug that should be sweated in place and welded the same as a breech plug in a liner.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 12:31:21 AM »
I would like to enter the 3rd Annual Bowling Ball Mortar competition in Indiana.  Anyone have any plans or instructions?   Thanks.

Ken

KEN -

WELCOME to the board!

You've got a taste already of the folks here, helpfull, legal and safe.

Do you want to compete for accuracy, range, or do you shoot just for the fun of it?

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 07:19:15 AM »
Let me se if I can find my sketches. I'll also snap some pictures. Mine has a 2" thick flat bottom welded in 100% and measures 16" OAL. Kinda a shorty.

Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline kfouts2

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 04:50:05 PM »
You guys are amazing!   I am wowed by the interest and the intelligence found here.

I heard the other day that an author that was not liked by the guys that run Google made it so searches on Google would not turn him or his books up.  I guess a little paranoia set in when I started researching bowling ball mortars and very little turned up.  I suppose building them is too redneck and not politically correct.  But all the video I have viewed sure makes it look fun.

I am an attorney and a newbie to all of this so I am humbled by your expertise.  That is hard for most attorneys to admit!

Thanks for all the good advice.  I hope to put it to some practical application soon and will report later!

Ken

Offline halloween123

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 10:33:25 AM »
How much did it cost ya'll to make your bowling ball cannon?  Or how much did it cost to have it made at a machine shop?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 10:45:35 AM »
Ken -

WELCOME to the board (even if you are a lawyer) -

We started this forum to learn.  It was a bunch of years ago and we're still learning -
Good people here, we will ask you at some point to post pictures of what you shoot!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 08:38:25 PM »
The image in Reply #6 above was on my old web server that has been out of service for many years.  I retrieved it tonight and put it on my current site.  I would change the powder chamber to one of more conventional design instead of the one shown for a greater safety factor.  Basically bore a straight walled hole of the desired volume no greater than 1/3 the diameter of the breech piece and as deep as desired, again leaving at least a chamber diameter's worth of metal to the rear.

Used steel is about $0.75 per pound these days depending on where you are so figure that times the weight for a materials cost estimate.  If you can't do the work yourself, double or triple the cost.
GG
--Winston Churchill