Author Topic: GC Cast Bullets in a Rifle  (Read 1405 times)

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
GC Cast Bullets in a Rifle
« on: February 26, 2011, 02:11:37 AM »
I like to play around with different powder and bullet configurations in both my rifles and pistols looking for that sweet spot that the gun loves. I've never loaded GC cast bullets in a bottleneck cartridge like a 30-30, 308 or similar cartridge but am thinking of trying it. I know the speed won't be there but am more concerned with accuracy without any leading problems. Also what kind of speed with hardcast without a GC ? Anyone with experience in these type of loads ?
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline 243dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: GC Cast Bullets in a Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 04:11:44 AM »
Go over to cast boolits and check them out, everything you want to know about anything lead is there, its a awesome site.  http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

Offline crash87

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:42:34 AM »
I like to play around with different powder and bullet configurations in both my rifles and pistols looking for that sweet spot that the gun loves. I've never loaded GC cast bullets in a bottleneck cartridge like a 30-30, 308 or similar cartridge but am thinking of trying it. I know the speed won't be there but am more concerned with accuracy without any leading problems. Also what kind of speed with hardcast without a GC ? Anyone with experience in these type of loads ?

I load gas checked and plain base bullets all the time, with no issues. If problems arise It's not the projectile, believe me on that. You can go over to the cast
 b--lit site  ??? But, why not just stay here and ask Graybeards own Forum moderator, Veral Smith?
   Throw that comment out to him about, you knowing, the speed won't be there. I am curious to see what he has to say,  ;D
You really don't have to travel far to get your answers. Crash 87

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 06:14:51 AM »
Thanks guys. I've been reading a lot of old posts getting some info. I see that if I'm going to do this, especially with a non gc bullet, I need a case mouth die that will bell it slightly like my pistol dies, so that I'm not shaving off lead when I seat the bullets.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 06:17:54 AM »
My family has been shooting gc lead for years.  We use the Lyman manual as a guide, but most of our loads were built from scratch.  Folks used a lot of lead before someone invented the jacketed bullet.  Go for it.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 12:24:17 PM »
When using lead bullets, the biggest culprit to cause leading is improper bullet fit. A lead bullet needs to be .001"-.002" bigger then the bore to seal gasses properly.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 12:38:27 PM »
Lots depends on what alloy your using and how good of a bore you have and if your sizing properly for the gun but 1500 is about the limit for general accuarcy with a plain based bullet some guns will do better but its a good ball park. You can add 2 or 3 hundred feet percent for a gas checked bullet. That been said ive shot plain based bullets to 2000 without leading and gas checked bullets to 2500. But it takes an exceptional gun and all the stars aligning.
blue lives matter

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 02:43:01 PM »
I shoot full charges of 3031 with a 160 gr Lee cast g/c bullet to fire form my brass in my 30/06 A.I.

I use an RCBS die to expand my cases and size the bullets to .309.

It's a good accurate load but shoots a bit low out at 200 yards.

It keeps me happy....

Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline .22-5-40

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 04:06:46 PM »
Hello, Kynards.  I shoot almost exclusivly cast in all my rifles & revolvers.  You mentioned you were after accuracy... I have a Shilen barreled Hornet that I use cast in.  I had Fred Leeth make me two custom nose-pour moulds..identical weight and shape, except one has g.c. shank.  For pure accuracy...not velocity..the difference between them in .3 grains of H4227.  As far as accuracy..1/2"to 3/4" at 100yds.

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 03:19:09 AM »
When I get an idea in my head I usually don't fool around. I went ahead and ordered some 165 gr RNFP from Missouri Bullets and a Lyman M die from Midsouth. I already have 5 of the powders listed in my loadbook for this bullet. I'll scrub my 308 barrels good and start working on something they both like.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 11:42:33 AM »
Go over to cast boolits and check them out, everything you want to know about anything lead is there, its a awesome site.  http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

I agree with going to the Cast Boolit site for other opinions…

Smith may be an excellent source of information, but he is one person. There are people on the Cast Boolit site that are equally as knowledgeable, plus you’ll get more than just one opinion…

Then compare and decide…

I do know people who shoot check-design boolits without the checks.  But, I really don’t understand it except it might save a few pennies.  If you order boolits, will they come with the checks in place?...

Good-luck…BCB

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 02:28:49 PM »
From looking at the cast bullet sites you can get them either way. I went with Missouri Bullets because I've ordered their pistol bullets that were top notch and their rifle bullets should be the same. That and their prices are great. I get 250 18 BHN .309 165 gr RNFP bullets for about $25.00 plus shipping of about $11.00. About the price of 100 jacketed bullets with shipping from other sites. Now I just need to find a load that my Encores like. I like old school and I like simplicity so shooting cast in most of my guns sounds great. 

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 01:55:36 AM »
Sounds like you are at the doorway of casting your own bullets, take the next step you will love it.
Casting can be every bit as much fun and challenging as reloading. Start up can be a little on the high side.
But Lee is a good place to start and keep the price down, personally I prefer not to put up with a lot of the minor annoyances associated with Lee, but you cannot beat the price.
And I am not knocking Lee, over the years I have owned several Lee molds, most shot as well as molds that cost 4 and 5 times as much money.
If you do decide to take the plunge into casting, I would check Lead availability in your area first.
I have read in some areas Lead is becoming scarce.
Lead cast will never replace Jacketed bullets, but there is just something special a bought taking a Deer with a round that you have made the best cast bullet and load for the rifle you have taken it with.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 08:34:25 AM »
If I had to use jacketed there would be a few guns I just wouldn't shoot much.
I cast for all my old milsurps and have had great results.

As mentioned above start with a good clean barrel.
Then an appropriate fitting bullet diameter.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline 454Puma

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 11:59:36 AM »
I shoot cast bullets alot! One of my favorites is the 30-30! I can and do shoot the Lee 170gr GC out of it just as fast as factory Jacketed 170 gr! So that means I get the same performance at a fraction of the cost!  ;D   Same accuracy or better!  :)
One shot , One Kill

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 12:34:04 PM »
Yes, Veral has been there and done that, but sure doesn't hurt to check out all the good info on the Cast Boolit site.

Lloyd Smale has already checked in on this thread, but he also spends time on the cast Boolit forum.  He is a good source of info.  Probably shoots more critters in a year then most of us shoot in a life time.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 12:59:19 PM »
I used to cast all my pistol bullets but moved away from my buddy that has the pot and the molds. I just buy them now in 400-500 quantities. I got my M die today and loaded 4 different loads from the loadbook. 12 with 15 gr Unique for 1816 fps. 12 with 14 gr Unique for 1726 fps. 12 with 13 gr Unique for 1636 fps and another 6 with 25 gr H4895 for 1747 fps. I spoke with a rep from Missouri Bullets and he said that he runs the 18 BHN plain base at 1900 fps with no problems. I seated my bullets to where the base of the bullet is even with the bottom of the neck of the cartridge and all the pressure levels are well below max. Hoping to get some range time Friday afternoon or sometime this weekend. If both my barrels will shoot the cast with a decent group I have plenty of time before next season to tweek my loads.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 02:54:50 PM »
Folks have been shooting cast since the beginning of shooting.....and they still work, believe it or not!
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!