Author Topic: Blunders  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Mike in Virginia

• Trade Count: (0)
Blunders
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:11:10 PM »
I stated in another thread that I'd not start one like this, but I can't help wondering if I'm the only idiot in the world who carries a gun.  I've had a gun in my hands or within easy reach for more than 40 years.  Always.  In that time, I've made some mistakes involving handguns. 

Has anyone here had an embarrassing moment involving their concealed carry firearm?  Last year, a news article reported the accidental discharge of a Glock in a public restroom stall.  The shooter had a permit, but was caught with his pants down.  Funny stuff, but scary.

Here's my admission. (One of them.)  I was on duty, plain clothes, a holstered Sig on my belt.  Went into a fast food bathroom.  It's safer to unholster and secure your weapon on the back of the toilet, but I didn't.  Standing up, I fumbled with my belt and the heavy gun.  I heard a "plop."  My issued pager had fallen into the hell of a public toilet.  Even though I'd already flushed, I reported the pager "lost."  No way was I going to retrieve it. 

I have worse stories than that, but I'll hold them until I know I'm not alone.

Offline Mike in Virginia

Re: Blunders
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 04:03:22 AM »
Okay guys, I'm gettin' nervous.  Surely somebody somewhere made a mistake as bad as mine. 

Offline Reverend Recoil

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 05:10:00 AM »
I dropped a cell phone in a tank of hydrochloric acid at Rubicon Chemical.  My brother dropped a screwdriver down the oil-filling spout of a large truck engine.  That drop cost us four hours of extra work.  We had to remove the crank case oil pan to get it out.

We all drop things.  We’re not clumsy.  Its all because of the Earth's gravitational field. 

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 05:19:17 AM »
I've got a little 380 mouse gun I carry from time to time.
The biggest drawback to it is I forget I have in on.
One day I was at a local cafe and mother nature called.
I headed off to the can and before I knew that dang little
thing dropped out on the floor in the stall.  :o
Fortunatley I was the only one in there. ::)
Could have been worse had it gone off.  ;D
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 05:42:47 AM »
OF
Talk about having to convince everbody that it was a phart and not a bullet. ;D

The most time consuming drop, for me, was the time four of us went too play golf together.
We got the trunk open and one of the guys threw the keys onto th dash board.
The keys went down the defrost vent and we spent  four hours trying to get them back out with a clothes hanger---
We did play golf that day after we fished them out----and it was a fun day---after getting them out we were in a good mood and ready to let some steam out.
 :D :D :D
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 06:23:59 AM »
OF
Talk about having to convince everbody that it was a phart and not a bullet. ;D

I'll have to remember that in case it ever happens.
My wife could probably be a material witness....... ;D
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 08:31:07 AM »
Wellll.....not really a blunder....wifee and I were dating, it was 1981.  She was cold and I gently pulled her near...and...she slipped her hands into the back pockets of my jeans....and...and....there she found my beretta jetfire in the right pocket and the spare mag in the left....well....needless to say...she wasn't cold anymore and I had some s'plainin to do.  Worked out OK though...married 25years next month!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 05:51:31 PM »
Funny you should ask.  Just yesterday I was helping the pastor of our church replace a storm door on a rental property he owns.  It was a bit brisk when we first started at 0900 so I had a sweat shirt on over my T-shirt which was untucked and covering the J-frame snubby I was wearing in a pancake holster on my hip.   It warmed up quickly so I decided to loose the sweat shirt.  When I went to pull it off it took the t-shirt with it.  So there I am with the pastor on his back porch in a wife beater with a revolver strapped to my hip.  I tried to turn a little to the side so that the piece wouldn't be so noticeable while I separated the T-shirt from the sweatshirt and put it back on.  Not sure if my pastor say the gun or not but he said nothing about it if he had.     
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 04:48:19 AM »
Many years ago, at least 20, I went to a golf course in a pretty shady neighborhood. I had never been there before and didn't know what to expect. So I tucked my colt mustang in the front of my pants.

I got up on the first tee, the one where everyone stands around and watches you tee off, and when I went to swing as I raised my arms up the gun fell out of my pants on the ground in front of me. I tried to nonchallantly pick it up and continue on with the game but people sure did look at me funny.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline 222

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 12:34:17 PM »
About 30 years ago I was carrying a AMT .380 in my hip pocket in church one Sunday morning and stood up for a song and my hip pocket bottom let go. The pistol sure made a racket when it hit the hard oak pew. A young mother looked to see what fell she never said a word but her husband came to my house and bought the .380 from me the next week. I bought a holster for my next carry gun.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 11:20:43 PM »
Didn't happen to me but a trooper I was working with. We were in a bunkhouse situation with several other biology techs doing field work. The trooper sprawled on the couch and caught a few winks. His duty revolver (S&W 66 I think) fell out of his holder and clattered to the floor. Freaked out some of the techs who weren't familiar with guns much.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline PAHUnter04

• The Hunters Hut
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • The Hunters Hut
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 01:20:37 PM »
It was many years ago, but I was picking up my wife and going into center city for a play. I had just come out of an appointment in a seedy section of the city. I have a ccw permit and had a 15 shot S&W semi in a IWB holster. Before I got back in my car I took it out and stuck it in the oversize inside breast pocket of my top coat and put it on the back seat of the car. When my wife and I arrived at our Hotel she said lets walk to the theater it's only two blocks away. The valet got my keys and was parking my car, I grabbed my top coat and we had to leave because we were going to be late. I figured I would just keep my top coat on and I would be ok. There was no way for me to sit down without that cannon jabbing me in the side.  :-\

Well we got in the theater and it was very warm. I took my top coat off being carefull not to drop the cannon in the pocket. When we finally arrived at our seats we were about to sit down when the gun slipped out and bounced on the carpeted floor, right between people sitting on either side of us.  They both looked down at the BIG SS pistol on the floor and just turned away. As I sat down , one by one they got up and moved their seats.  :) I was waiting for a manager to show up, but no one ever did....LOL

Wifey was a bit flustered but got over it. Remind me to tell you what happened on the two block walk back at 1:00 AM in the morning, when the big cannon saved the day.
 ;D
The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Accesories
PAHunter04... The Head Hunter... Jim P
email: headhunter-1@hotmail.com

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 02:24:33 PM »
Just this past wednesday.
I had played golf and changed clothes--going to afternoon coffee.
I slipped the little PPK into my pants waist and got in a hurry--late for coffee.
I forgot about the gun--it is always there. Drank coffee and we had been there about an hour---fixing to leave I reached for my keys and felt the gun. Usually I wear a loose shirt not tucked in.
Well no one at McDonalds ever said anything.
The only thing showing was the handle.
Hiding in plain sight.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD